5.0 out of 5 stars Danny Torrance all grown up...., 28 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Doctor Sleep (Shining Book 2) (Hardcover)
Well what can I say. Terrific stuff. First of all perhaps I should make clear that I am an absolute, without prevarication, unapologetic fangirl of everything King so therefore please read this review with that in mind. However as always what you will find is my honest feelings and my genuine thoughts about the readability and standard of the novel in question...

That being Doctor Sleep, the long awaited, much anticipated sequel to "The Shining" and a continuation of the story of Danny Torrance, 5 years old when we met him last, survivor of The Overlook Hotel.

Danny (now Dan, a grown man and the Dr Sleep of the title although I'll let you find out for yourself what that means...and look out for Azzi!) "shines". He knows what others are thinking, occasionally knows whats coming, and has one foot in this world and one foot in quite another. Up until now, he perhaps shone the brightest, but he has not yet met Abra Stone. Meanwhile the "True Knot" an eclectic collection of RV owners roam the highways and byways of America. Mostly elderly, they are not what they appear...for they live and survive on "steam" - a substance released when children who shine are tortured to death...

I will admit to some trepidation when I started this new journey with Danny Torrance. The Shining is and always will be one of Mr King's greatest tales, was there any real way to expand and improve on that? This author does not usually do sequels (The Talisman with Peter Straub and the obvious example of the Dark Tower books aside) although if you read him as I do you know he finds a way of giving us character updates. Well I would have to say he has done Danny proud...

As always characterisation is of a high standard. The story has a dark heart indeed and will cause a shiver or two..and Dan has evolved realistically - determined not to become his father, still he comes close to heading down the same disastrous path...but redemption comes in funny ways and at the most unexpected of times.

A deeply involving battle between good and evil, this will grab you by the throat and drag you down into those places where nothing and yet everything could be real..Compelling and utterly captivating, I am bereft that I am done with it...I could easily start at the beginning again right now.

So, perhaps a bit of help for readers considering this: Firstly, do you need to have read "The Shining"? Well no, not at all. A brief synopsis in the first portion of the book, followed by a few soundbites that show Danny growing up means everything you NEED to know is right there and done in a way that will not spoil the original book adventure. However I would strongly advise that you do, because I believe in my heart you will get more out of it if you meet Danny when he is a child and understand the way he was back then...

If you are a "constant reader" of this author then this will delight you. We all know how every single one of his books is linked to the others in many hidden ways, this is one of the reasons why I love them so much. Oh and if you have read NOS4R2 by the incredible Joe Hill, son of Stephen, then one or two little portions of this story will have you smiling away.

All in all I'm going to do this again. Just read it. Its King. Its Brilliant. Thats all you need to know. (ok ok, fangirl in me popping up one last time before I am done)

Happy Reading Folks!