4.0 out of 5 stars An Awesome tablet, and a laptop replacement for a non-power user, 10 Oct 2012
This review is from: Asus TF300T 10.1-inch Multitouch Tablet with Keyboard (Blue) (Nvidia Tegra 3 1.4GHz, 1GB RAM, 32GB HDD, WLAN, BT, 2x Cam, Android 4.0) (Personal Computers)
I received my Asus Transformer TF300 yesterday after doing over a month's worth of research. I wanted a device that could REPLACE my clunky 4 year old laptop. One of the biggest draw backs to tablets up until recently has been a lack of storage space, connectivity options and the lack of suitable office software with which to do some work if needed. I mainly used my laptop for web browsing, email and music/movie consumption so storage is a big factor for me.

I was split between some of the Acer Iconia tablets and this one, and finally settled on the Asus due to the keyboard dock, and boy do I not regret my choice, the keyboard dock is what makes the device an absolutely fantastic experience. The Asus only has 32GB on internal storage but the ace up its sleeve is that it has so many connectivity options, not only does it have a full size SD card slot in the keyboard dock, but it also has a microSD slot in the tablet itself (and for all those who are wondering you can use them BOTH simultaneously), meaning you can potentially add up to 128GB of additional space. On top of that the keyboard dock has a full size USB port meaning that you can plug in USB mice, USB flash drives and YES, USB hard drives (both NTFS and FAT supported). Another neat feature is the ability to support multiple USB devices at once, so I plugged in a 4 port USB hub into the device and then connected my mouse and USB HD to the hub, and it works a treat.

Initial Boot: As soon as I got the package I was like a child in a sweet shop, I wanted to rip it open and get started straight away, unfortunately absolutely nothing happened when I pressed the on button, after doing a bit of googling I found that the device requires at least a 3 hour initial charge before it can be used for the first time, so have patience and do not think its DOA immediately! After 3 or so hours I came back to it and hey presto it works!

Performance: The device was a little clunky at first, until I discovered the power settings, which can be set to Power Saving, Balanced and Performance, and on the latter the device really roars to life. I also updated the device to Jelly Bean using the neat over the air update which comes up and the device now seems even faster. Movies and Music play great with no performance lags whatsoever, Angry Birds plays like a dream.

Screen: The screen is good, solid and very bright (I had to turn the brightness down to 50% because it was dazzling me). Not quite as good as the screens on the iPad 2+3 but still nice enough for the price. The only issue I found after working so long with a 15" laptop is I starting hunching forward in my seat to use it because of the reduced screen size. Docking and undocking from the keyboard is a pretty simple process, albeit a little fiddly in a darkened room, you really need to get those pins aligned and the power button is placed in such a way that you hit it by accident when connecting the tablet to the dock.

Email: The device comes with all the usual Android array of email apps including GMail. You can also download loads more apps from the Play store. One tip for those of you moving from an Outlook type environment, it is possible to move all your emails out of Outlook and into GMail, you just need to set up IMAP on the gmail account, open the account in Outlook and copy the emails over and hey presto you now have all your offline Outlook emails in gmail!

Conclusion I've only had the device for 24 hours but so far I love it. The only reason I haven't given it 5 stars is that I also have an iPad 2 for work and a point of comparison. The screen just isn't quite on par with the iPad, so things like webpages and images don't look quite as swish as on the iPad, but still you are not paying the same price so I wasn't expecting an identical experience. Still, the screen is good enough and I am more than willing to take that and have the connectivity options galore than go with the iPad which is really only a PC/Mac accompaniment. The iPad cannot replace your laptop, it is too limited and you simply cannot expand the storage that they give you, whereas the Asus Transformer has so many ways to expand it that it HAS just replaced my laptop.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]