19 of 20 people found the following review helpful
This review is from: Nokia N8 Sim Free Mobile Phone (Electronics)
Yes before it's said I do actually own this phone. No I didn't get it from Amazon as I wanted an orange coloured phone which Amazon didn't or don't offer. This was purchased from the nokia store.
First things first when purchasing this phone make sure you know what you want it to do. If you want a toy get an apple if you want a business phone get a blackberry. If you want something that can be a good all rounder you could do worse than the nokia N8 but not in my opinion a lot better. (at least when you add up what you get)
-12mp camera, this has got to be one of the best cameras on any phone and will even beat some sub £100 dedicated cameras, works brilliantly in the dark with the flash, that could blind someone.
- HD video, this is a kind of included in the first bit, due to the larger sensor in this "phone" it can record in HD. This works well in a bright room or outdoor but in low light it can be a bit tricky.
-phone, obvious one this but its comfortable in the hand and the strange sticky out camera actually makes it not slip out of your hand. I have yet to drop a call or have trouble making a call. even in low signal areas. This phone has a stronger signal than previous phones I have owned, making it a better choice for almost anyone.
- Battery, all the fuss about the new Iphone with its li-polymer battery. sorry but this has been a major factor in most mobiles for a good few years The battery has a long life giving approx 45hrs for music with headphones, approx 30hrs of music without headphones, 4-5 hrs of continuous sat-nav use with internet updates for traffic. approx 3 days of normal use, or approx 8 hrs with everything going (wi-fi, bluetooth, gps, 3g, auto update internet inc twitter, facebook etc..) plus it can be charged via a nokia plug or via usb (both supplied)
- interface, this ones a bit tricky as its a personnel preference but it's simple to use, logical and the home screens are all you need when set up right.
- HDMI, Thought about this one for a while it's only been used once but it's nice to be able to hook up to a tv (if you remember the adaptor) and show people video or photos on you phone.
- USB, yep it's here but it can also mean the phone will act as a mini computer so if you connect a camera or an external usb drive. The nokia N8 can access it and pull the info off you want or just browse the device.
- SD, this may seem petty but having the ability to upgrade the storage memory is a nice plus, not convinced check out price differences between a 16gb phone and a 32gb now check out the price for a card to do the same thing.
- battery, Yes I know its in the plus but it can't be swapped out if the battery dies or your away somewhere with no power to charge so no 2nd battery option. but the Iphone has managed for years with no replaceable battery so it may work. Time will tell
- manual, As with the growing trend there is only a small leaflet with this phone and a manual in the phone (or help guide) the actual manual can be found on the nokia site and it's definitely worth a look as this phone is capable of more than you will ever know unless it's read, it also gives info about all the settings, but it should have been included.
- Buggy, This phone comes with a slow interface which keeps freezing, run the update. This is also in the manual so again worth a read.
- Iphone, yes this is a negative as this is what it's not, so get over it.
Overall I'm very pleased with this phone It does more than listed above but the main thing to remember is if you want an Iphone get one as this is not an Iphone, but what ever you so read reviews play with one, you may enjoy it. or you could wait for the next big thing but don't take too long as when it comes out you may want the next big thing, Then your stuck waiting and waiting. If all else fails see if amazon will offer the same money back guarantee as Nokia, then its a win win