5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed !, 17 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Intel Core i5 4670K Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 3.40GHz, 6MB, Haswell, 84W, Intel Graphics, BX80646I74770, 4th Generation Intel Core, Turbo Boost Technology 2.0) (Personal Computers)
I've been building gaming pc's for myself for the last 10 years and have always bought from another retailer ( OverclockersUK ) and have always used gigabyte and AMD cpu's with either Nvidia or AMD graphics cards. For some reason unknown I didn't think of checking, until recently that is, to see if Amazon sold pc components. Turns out they do and in most cases Amazon are cheaper than OverclockersUK and with prime delivery invariably what I order is delivered next day unlike OcUK. Also, you can see lots of reviews and make an informed decision about what you are buying, so all round , Amazon is the place to buy from for me, brilliant customer service .

Sorry for the pre-waffle there. Ok, my 6 month old gigabyte mobo, AMD FX-8150 and NVidia gtx 780 titan coupled with 16gb of 1333mhz memory and a Samsung 840 pro ssd are not playing games smoothly, to the point where I just wanted to chuck the pc out of the bedroom window. Every game was suffering from some kind of stutter and this was driving me crazy. I had to make a decision, go down the console route, tried that but the kit was too expensive and so are the games, I'm talking ps4 and xboxone here by the way. Both were returned, thank you Amazon for great customer service regarding returns. I decided to build myself a new gaming rig but this time using Intel.

I did lots of research and read loads of reviews on cpu's, AMD vs Intel, Nvidia vs AMD, different kinds of motherboard and memory manufacturer and eventually I came up with the following spec to be fitted into my existing Coolermaster 690 case :

Intel Core i5 4670k cpu
MSI Z87 G43 gaming mobo
Geil 2133mhz 8gb ram
Cooler master hyper 212 evo cpu cooler

Already have the Samsung 840 pro SSD 256gb and Akasa venom 750w psu.

All the old kit came out of the case and the new installed with no problems. The above parts came to just under £300 with next day prime delivery. I am one happy bunny !

I didn't have to reinstall windows ( windows 7 ultimate 64 bit ) luckily, just entered the bios of the MSI Z87 and set the memory to 2133mhz ( for some reason it was showing at 1600mhz by default ), used OCGENIE to overclock the cpu, it did automatically in a second and overclocked it from the stock 3.40mhz to a very stable 4.0mhz. With the Cooler Master evo hyper 212 cpu air cooler configured as a push pull with two fans connected to the giant cooling fin temps are excellent, runs much cooler than my old AMD set up, idles at around 36 degs and after an hour of intense gaming goes up to around the 48 - 50 degs mark. I have a bitfenix fan controller connected and set to auto and the fans can hardly be heard even when playing BF4 on ultra.

Anyway, my point being and I apologise for taking so long to get to the point, buy this chip, it is phenominal, every single game I have installed on my SSD plays as smooth as silk, not a single stutter. I have Battlefield 4, COD Ghosts, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Tomb Raider 2013 and Batman Arkham Origins installed and they all play on ultra without a hitch. I also watch DVD's on my pc and these play as smooth as anything too. Using WinRAR to extract files and more than one at a time this chip handles it with no problems and quickly too. I don't have bad word to say about this and I think I can safely say I am a convert from the AMD stable.

One more thing, in windows WEI my set up with this cpu scored 7.8 out of 7.9, everything was 7.9 except the intel which scored 7.8 so all in all a very impressive little cpu.

BUY ONE you wont regret it !!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]