4.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, Accessible and Ultimately rewarding..... Just one more turn!, 27 Sept. 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sid Meier's Civilization V (DVD-ROM)
First of all let me say, I'm not a hardcore gamer, in fact I own about 5 PC games and 4 of them are Civilization based games, I'm not one for spending hours in front of a computer in most circumstances.

However in this case I'm making an exception, I'd heard it was good, i'd read the professional reviews which were remarkably positive, I'd even bought a new high end laptop to speed up the in between turns time, but in 2 days over the weekend that I've owned the game (thanks Amazon!), I have clocked up 18 hours playing time, and that says something about the game as far as I'm concerned.

I'm no Civ geek, as far as I get up the difficulty level is Prince but to me the higher difficulty levels here are much more accessible as there are more options for progression rather than the painstaking micro management required in earlier Civs.

I can see where the initial criticiscm is coming from though, it does seem dumbed down and to that end they have definately gone down the "Revolutions" route, rather than make a game solely for Civ heads, and that they must be applauded because in my opinion if you give it more than a cursory glance it can be very rewarding.

That said, I've gone onto a few Civ forums and the overall feedback from the "experts" say that once you dig under the surface of what initially seems to be a dumbed down game, you find so much more, and so many more options, and in fact, its actually not dumbed down at all.

They have gone and created a game where people that have never played Civ before can go straight in and have a good crack at it, they have also created a game with endless possiblitites where if you are a "20 minutes per turn" type person, the depth is there, its just different from previous games, but I didnt buy Civ V hoping for Civ IV with better graphics.

So pros and cons

Having the advisors available to tell you exactly what to do is a tad annoying, however I made a conscious decision early, to completely ignore them, yes that meant I got attacked by my gigantic neighbours, but it also made my victory in the 300 year war that followed far more satisfying.

Combat is completely different from previous Civ's. Military units take longer to build, are more expensive to maintain, they can now attack from range (Archers Catapults etc) and NO STACKING (Woo Hoo!!). This means tactics are more prevalent than just building a "stack of doom" and steamrollering other Civ's. Tactical Nouse now means you can win wars with fewer numbers, rather than just, build build build!

The hexes are a big plus, again giving you more options.

I do miss religion, and yes, the tech tree can bottleneck, which is a bit frustrating, but the main downside is Steam, this is why I've only given it 4 stars, it would have been 5 all the way if its wasnt for Steam.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Sep 2010 10:40:18 BDT
B. Cole says:
Do you even know what Steam is or are you just jumping on the "Let's all slag off Steam" bandwagon?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2010 10:48:26 BDT
Yeah thanks for that.

I know exactly what Steam is thanks, I have had it on my other PC for about 2 years, initially so I could download an old game which after paying for I ended up giving up on after a week because it kept crashing and the steam support team could offer no help.

Steam has also caused this game to crash 3 times, which isnt bad going for 2 days

So if I'd really wanted to bash steam I would have mentioned that fact in my review.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2010 09:45:53 GMT
Korlus says:
Are you sure it was steam causing the crashes? I've seen many, many computers with it on, and it didn't cause instability problems on any of them...

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2010 10:07:54 GMT
Hi Mate

Yeah pretty sure its steam, because the error message mentioned there had been a problem with Steam which for whatever reason had killed the game (thank the lord for Autosaves!!)

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2010 10:13:24 GMT
Korlus says:
Next time the error comes up, can you write down the actual error message and put it here? I'll see if there's anything I can do about it - occasionally computer programmes don't "mesh" correctly, or whatever... Obviously, I'm not guaranteeing anything, but I'll do my best.

Also, as an added bonus, if it's a common problem, others might notice it and report that they have it too...

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2010 10:16:45 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Nov 2010 10:22:27 GMT
Will do mate, but it hasnt happenend for a while, next time it does I'll put it here.

Thanks

Do you work for steam, because i downloaded Xcom Apocalypse a couple of years back and had to stop playing because it kept freezing, if I start playing it again, if it freezes can I put the symptoms on here??

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2010 10:30:44 GMT
Korlus says:
I don't work for them but good with computers and have had to fix issues that people have had with steam quite a few times on different web forums etc. With older games, it's quite possible that it won't run on your operating system. As far as I'm aware, X Com works in a version of DOSBox (link if you don't know what it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dosbox ), and while very useful, DOSBox has its own set of errors from time to time. To know more, I'd need to know the specifications on your computer, namely:

Processor type:
Operating system:
Graphics card:

and if you know how:
Last time you updated graphics drivers/edition of drivers:

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2010 10:30:47 GMT