5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas just isn't Christmas without Nat., 3 Dec 2005
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
The older you get, the more you appreciate good music just for good music’s sake. For me (at a mere 33) the days where I cared about what people thought about the music I listened to have long gone. Which is great as it means I can admit that I not only like Nat King Cole, I think he’s without doubt the most gifted singer that ever lived.
His effortless style and dulcet tones now epitomise Christmas for me. While Mel Torme may have written (and even recorded) the song that most people associate with Christmas and Nat, it’s Nat’s voice that really does it justice.
I love Christmas and have bought many ‘old time crooner’ albums, yet this compilation of Nat King Cole songs is my favourite by a country mile. It sometimes goes by different names, and is sometimes compiled by different companies, but the same 20 songs are the ones that Nat recorded in a one-off three-day session in July of 1960.
I like to play this when I’m wrapping presents or when the jostling of trying to buy them all in the first place has become too much and you’re almost all out of Christmas spirit. One listen and all of a sudden you remember the true spirit of Christmas – giving.
While I’m sure the reasons behind recording any ‘holiday’ material are entirely financial, this seems to reflect a time when it was less cynical, less self-serving and more innocent.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Dec 2011 22:59:10 GMT
Sir I take my hat off to you. I am now 58 but Nat King Cole remains the Master Vocalist for me. There is no doubt in my mind about that. At the turn of the Millenium the BBC ran a poll to find the best vocalist of the Last century and the winner was Frank Sinatra with Nat King Cole just behind in second place. They both faced stiff competition with Dean Martin ,Elvis Presley,Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan and Dusty Springfield. A few years ago I asked my son who he rated the best from that era and he Choose Marvin Gaye again another good choice. Also I concur with you that The Christmas Song by Nat is the greatest Christmas song ever made. Continue to enjoy whatever music you desire and Give Timi Yuro a try if you haven't heard her she is amazing.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (33 customer reviews)

Add to wishlist