2.0 out of 5 stars Should have been a TV show counterpoint to Walking Dead, 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: World War Z [DVD] (DVD)
Firstly, there's nothing (in my mind) inherently interesting about Brad Pitt in and of himself. He's a very good actor, and when he gets good parts he's very engaging (Fight Club etc...). But in this, he's Mr.Bland floppy haircut. He's got no character, and that's one of the biggest problems in this film. When there are interesting characters, they're given about 2 minutes of screen time. Then it's back to Mr.Bland and his tedious quest to bla bla zombies bla bla cure. It's just Brad Pitt wandering around looking pained. This is a Brad Pitt vehicle, not an adaptation of Max Brooks book of the same name. This is 'Benjamin Button', but with zombies.

Quite often with these kinds of films, I like to watch the making-of extras on the DVD so I can listen to the filmmakers explain themselves. With this film, someone (the Director, I think) spoke about having the family element in it to create a sense of drama about Mr.Bland having to leave them and go find out how these zombies were created. To me, that is one of the problems with this film. Shoddy paint-by-numbers script writing. See, Walking Dead had Rick concerned about his family. Walking Dead works because the family aspect is an integral part of the show - it's organic. This feels ham-fisted and lazy. Like, "Oh, see, he's a family man! CARE ABOUT HIM PLEASE!!" And then several disjointed scenes in various places around the world.

Really, there's nothing much to differentiate this from any other bland zombie film.

It's a very difficult book to film - primarily because it's comprised of a large collection of small stories. And you can't do that in a film, at least not in a way that will make the film engaging. It's called 'World War Z' because the stories take place all over the world. Hence, why this would have made a better TV show. Each episode covering a different small story around the world.

And I dread to think what the original ending was like, considering that Damon Lindelof was called in to make the actual ending watchable. I actually liked what they did though - the idea of it anyway, and the much smaller 'sacrifice' element they had. I believe the original ending was one of those OMG ZOMBIES EVERYWHERE FIGHT FIGHT CGI BUILDINGS COLLAPSING EVERYWHERE EXPLOSION endings you get nowadays.

I liked the little speech the scientist guy gave about nature and clues and whatnot. I also liked the whole Jerusalem part, and the image of the zombies piling up on each other to get over the wall was fantastic! As usual with these kinds of films - lots of small clues to what the film could have been.

But, overall, MEH! (Yeah, I know, check my other reviews and I've only reviewed films I dislike so far! Seriously, I do actually like films! I just seem to find myself compelled to review films that urk me over films I love! Perhaps I should actually go review a movie I love for once...)

[Add comment]