5.0 out of 5 stars A Small Wizard for your office, 6 Aug 2011
This review is from: Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300 Document Scanner (Accessory)
Now that's what I call efficiency!

After spending lots of hours scanning my documents page by page on a flatbed scanner of a multifunctional printer, I decided that it was not worth the hours spent and I should buy a dedicated scanner to do the job... Many thousands of pages were waiting, both A4 and B5 size and if I needed about 1 minute per page, it would be countless hours theft from my personal time...

So I checked around, and fell on this video on youtube:

[...] (Introducing the New Mobile ScanSnap S1300)

That was it! Small, effective, it promised to do the job fast and without hassles.

So I ordered it from Amazon.co.uk and only one week after (for delivery to Greece, and not the capital but a somewhat distant island like Zakynthos - well done Amazon once again!!! ) it was in my hands.

Out of the box, I insert the CD in my PC, trouble-free install the software, and I am ready to go!

I have to tell you: I am a school teacher so i have both many (too many actually) books that i want to digitize (I have cut them into piles of pages, so that I don't do it page by page on a photocopier or flatbet scanner), and also I have some thousands of handwritten pages of material that I wanted to preserve!

So I started right away! I took a book cut into pages from the pile, put it on my desk and gave it a go!

Firstly I tried to find the best settings for my scannings, which also proved to be very easy to do. A single and simple window with all available choises was there and it was not more that a couple of minutes of experimenting before I find my best setting...

Although for demanding jobs there is the "Excellent" option, I found "Best" (300dpi) to be more than enough, and I am very demanding in terms of quality...

So I started feeding it pages... Only 5-10 sheets at a time can be put in the feeder, but of course there is the magic "continue scanning" option which gives us the chance to put as many pages as we want in packs of up to 10... So I turned a whole book (about 600 pages if I recall correct, that is 300 sheets of paper) into a single PDF...

in just more than an hour !!!

WOW! That is fast!

How can it do that? It has a simple and very clever way of doing that. The machine scans BOTH sides of the sheet in one go! That means you tell it do duplex scan documents, but THERE IS NO PAGE TURNING! It does it in one go, since its mechanism scans both sides at the same time (two scanning devices built in obviously)! That alone is so simple yet so effective, it seperates this machine apart from competition!

For a home office and a home budget that is ultra fast and ultra effective in a very logical cost!

Since then (about a week now) I have already scanned 5-6 books along with some notes of mine... I actually do it along with other jobs on my PC since I just have to feed it sheets in packs of tens every couple of minutes and it just goes on and on and on...

I cannot recommend enough this machine. I am the type of buyer that goes for the "best buy" or "best quality for your bucks" buys instead of "best (and most expensive) piece of hardware" and its price (about 225GBP) seemed a lot when I purchased it, but then I was desperate enough to buy it anyway.

Now I can tell you that if your documents are up to a few thousand of pages, or if you want a machine with a tiny footprint in your office to get the job done fast and accurately, then look no further, this is the machine you want!

Maybe if your budget is strong enough or your demands even higher, you may also want to check out Fujitsu Scansnap M1500. I did (through video reviews on youtube again, there is a lot of stuff there for these scanners), and though M1500 is considerably faster, it is also bigger (not something you can carry with you easily, like the S1300, which can go even in a womans purse! ) . So it is really up to you. Again, for me and my restricted budget, for my office where little room could be spared, and for my home office needs, this machine was the wizard of Oz, bringing my dreams to reality.

Paperless office here I come!

PS: My purpose of digitizing all these papers is to have them on a tablet that I will turn into an ebook reader (my iPad is ready for the job). I tell you, once you take a book in your hands, and about an hour later you can "flip its pages" in your tablet (something that I intend to do in my class also) you will see that it is worth it. I already imagine myself being in class and having all my notes, my books, everything that I had to carry in my briefcase before, stored in my iPad and ready for use in class.

Thanks to ipad's wonderful screen format (not widescreen, and that makes it perfect for books or notes or pages of any kind) and to my new fujitsu scansnap S1300 (that will convert all my printed/written stuff to PDF) I can finally make this vision come true ;-)

PS2: This wonderful machine can also work powered from USB! You just plug it in your PC using 2 USB slots in it, and you can go scan whatever you want, wherever you want! Of course in that case its speed drops to half that is about 2 sheets or 4 pages per minute I think, which still is fast enough for a scan on the go. I haven't tried it yet, but I know that there will be times, even in the classroom, that i might want that functionality, and I am grateful that it is there waiting for me.

Nice Job Fujitsu!

Enough said ;-) Don't worry about it, go get it!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]