5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of laptop for the money, 12 Jun 2011
This review is from: HP Pavilion DV7-4150ea 17" Laptop (Intel Core i5-460M 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Bluetooth, Windows 7 Home Prem 64-bit) - Brushed Aluminium (Electronics)
I was looking for a laptop to compliment my quad core desktop set up.
Essentially I wanted a big screen, 17", dual core processor capable of run 4 threads simultaneously, plenty of memory. I actually wanted a glossy LCD which are great if you are in control of the ambient lighting. Essentially it should be able to handle with ease the following typical workload:
Adobe Lightroom
Abobe Photoshop
Office 2010
Firefox & Chrome
VMware (but not neccessarily with all the above running)
Remote desktop to my Desktop PC
Also battery should last for at least 2 hours doing a mix of the above.
I'm please to that my expectations were met and there is room for expansion when I need it. I get 2.5 hours use on the battery.
Good Points not mentioned by Amazon or HP:
* Has 4 GB memory on one module thus allowing upgrading to the max of 8GB without wasting the supplied 4GB. In fact I have ordered a matching 4GB module from Crucial for just 31.
* Has 2nd disk bay: This makes disk expansion possible without discarding existing disk. I plan to use an 80GB SSD as the system disk and keep the data on the supplied 500GB disk.
* The LED lit screen is really clear with good contrast. The resolution is 1600 x 900 pixels which is about right for a typical laptop viewing distance with the 17.3" screen. I don't think a 1920 x 1080 (which are not common anyway) would have given me any more noticable clarity and then I would have to opt for opt for a larger font size which can play havoc with some apps.
* Has eSATA connection.
* Supplied disk is 7200rpm and is quite a bit faster than the usual 5400 rpm laptop disks.
* Full size keyboard including keypad.

Not quite so good but worked around easily:
* USB is v2, not v3. However, the eSATA port is there for external connection to supporting devices.
* No DVI port - not really an issue for me since if I want to use my big monitor that's connection to my desktop, I use my desktop!

I've had the laptop for about a month now and still very pleased with it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Jul 2012 11:40:44 BDT
Re the 2nd drive bay: Not so straight forward to add a 2nd drive as you need to purchase a connector which is is expensive and difficult to obtain. So I decide not to add a second disk, but upgrade the existing disk to hybrid device which is a 750GB disk with 8GB of non-volatile flash memory. Generally this gives a performance closer to a solid state disk but with a much higher capacity. I bought the device from overclockers.co.uk https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-262-SE&tool=3 also available on Amazon Seagate 750GB Momentus XT Serial 2.5 inch 7200 RPM 32MB 6GB/S SATA Solid State Hybrid Hard Drive
My review I posted there is as follows:
Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Hybrid SATA-II 2.5" 7200RPM 32MB
My Laptop is a bog standard HP Pavilion DV7 with a i5 cpu and 8GB RAM. I use it mostly for email, browsing with Firefox, and Adobe CS5 Dreamweaver, Photoshop x64 and Lightroom 4.
Despite the laptop having a 7200rpm disk, startup, logon and launching Outlook with the inbox open took a minimum of 218 seconds.
After installation and 3 cycles of doing the test to build the cache, it now does that lot in 67 seconds, an amazing improvement factor of 3.25x. The Adobe stuff launches much quicker too. It is difficult to believe that 8GB of flash is all it needs, but it is true.
Installation was a breeze using the supplied Acronis Seagate disk clone and an eSata connection: the clone s/w copied all partitions in about half hour, I replaced the old disk and it rebooted back into Win7 without any fuss.
Along with increasing the RAM, this is the most bang for bucks performance improvement for a laptop, it really feels like a new machine.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›