5.0 out of 5 stars Significant improvement on Fire HD, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: Kindle Fire HDX 8.9", HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 64 GB (Electronics)
First some context. I use computers all the time when I was working and now that I have retired and spend much of my time researching, writing and publishing books. I use a PC much of the time but when travelling find that a tablet is clearly easier to transport and provides the accessibility I need for emails, the Internet, access to film and books/magazines. I initially purchased an Asus Transformer for this purpose, then the more transportable Kindle HD 7" and now the HDX. What I want from a tablet is reliability, good battery life and ease of use to let me do the things I want to do.

The new HDX certainly fulfils those needs. Though I had a slight problem with setup that I could not sort out myself and needed telephone support from Amazon (excellent, quick solution), it proved remarkably simple and all the documents and apps that I had on the HD were there ready to use. Ditto the books that I had already purchased. One recurrent theme in American reviews and, it seems to be unjustifiably low scores as a result, is the question of office apps on the system. It was simply a case of adding a free word processing, presentation, spreadsheet app and the problem is solved.

The HDX is an excellent piece of kit. I went for the 64GB storage as there are no card slots (something for another incarnation I hope) and this is ample for my needs. The screen is excellent, apps load quickly (both to get on the system and then once loaded), Silk has been improved and is much quicker. The tablet is light and sleek and is easy to hold in one hand, though I find it better to rest it on something for ease of use. The cameras are good and video streams like a dream. I'm not entirely convinced by moving the buttons to the rear of the Kindle--necessary to keep the Kindle thin--but they are certainly bigger and therefore easier to use than on the HD. Overall, the HDX allows me to do what I want and I would certainly recommend it as a significantly cheaper alternative to Apple Air.

I thought I'd update my review (12 December) after over a month's regular use. Getting one of the origami covers--also an excellent if expensive item--was a good decision. Not only does it put the Kindle into shut-down mode when closed but it also protects and helps to clean the screen. I use my Kindle for a variety of things but especially reading and the ability to place my growing number of books easily into different collections has made finding the books when I need them considerably easier. I already had an app capable of doing this but the Kindle solution is eminently more elegant. In fact, the more I use the Kindle, the more elegant and responsive I find it, something aided by modifying the settings t suit my needs. I've used the machine for word-processing using both the built in keyboard (fine for short emails or blogs) and a Bluetooth keyboard for longer documents. Silk has proved a responsive and quick way of accessing the Internet and the emailing app has proved invaluable and also highly responsive. Battery life is good--I've averaged 9.5 hours before needing to re-charge--but have found that turning off Wi-Fi does extend this time. Overall, my initial feelings about the Kindle have been reinforced by using it. It really is an excellent tablet.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Nov 2013 18:04:12 GMT
J B CROFT says:
helpful review as i want to purchase as a gift...

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Dec 2013 09:32:45 GMT
S.S. says:
yes, indeed, re R J Brown - interesting and considered comments of user experience of the product. so much more relevant than the one star rubbish some people post, not about the product but about their customer service issues or them buying the wrong product and then slating it. I've very recently bought a Kindle Fire and look forward to using it over Christmas (and, like R J Brown, I will refrain from commenting until I have actual user experience of it). Happy Christmas to one and all.

Posted on 17 Jan 2014 13:51:47 GMT
Fred says:
Thank you RJ Brown. I, too, write and publish. I think this could be a perfect device IF I could plug in a full size keyboard; a full size monitor and access a printer easily. In other words, use it as a handy, mobile gadget -- but then convert it into a 'slave' machine for conventional word/office processing tasks.

Could you tell me -- is this possible?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2014 15:01:02 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Jan 2014 10:28:47 GMT
R J Brown says:
Fred, you can certainly link a keyboard to the Kindle via Bluetooth. I'm not sure about the a monitor or printer though I think I read that wireless printing from Kindle either is already available or will be in the near future. Addendum: I've been thinking about the monitor issue and I wonder whether it would be possible to use the USB cable to link the Kindle to a monitor though I think this unlikely. You can mirror the Kindle screen on certain appliances According to the US and UK site: Kindle Fire tablets support the printing of documents, spreadsheets, presentations, photos and e-mails via your home or office wireless printer. You won't be able to use Office on Kindle of course but there are free and paid apps that allow you to produce Window ready documents that you can upload to Sky Drive (mine is accessible via Silk) or other Cloud applications. I think it's a case of experimenting to find out what you can do.

Posted on 23 May 2014 11:55:24 BDT
superscribe says:
You state you had a slight problem with setup. If bought from Amazon I thought this tablet came out of the box ready to use.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2014 13:16:02 BDT
R J Brown says:
The tablet is ready to use straight from the box but you do need to personalise it for your own use. For instance, you'll need to set up your email account. The problem I had was actually getting to that point...it was just a minor glitch that was sorted out very easily and quickly by Amazon. You should certainly not view my experience as a reason not to get the tablet...it really is very good.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2014 14:12:07 BDT
superscribe says:
Thank you for clearing that up. Another reviewer has mentioned screen glare and reflection in sunlight, is this really a problem? I want to upgrade from my Kindle e-reader which is brilliant to use (especially on holiday) even in the brightest sunshine. I also write and research a lot and the fact that word processing and 'real' keyboards are available pretty much convinced me to upgrade to a HDX 8.9". Many thanks for an excellent review.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2014 14:42:18 BDT
R J Brown says:
I've never found screen glare and reflection in sunlight a problem but I rarely use my Kindle outside so perhaps I'm not the best judge. Although I've used it for emailing and blogging and for word-processing with longer documents, I do find it easier to use either my PC or laptop to do this. The word-processing packages that I use are Office compatible and very good but inevitably they do not have the same range of options as Office. So I'd say Kindle is excellent if you're travelling and do not want to carry a laptop as well but at home a computer is a better option.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2014 17:07:21 BDT
superscribe says:
Thank you again. For the majority of tasks I require from a tablet the Fire still seems the best option. Your help is much appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jul 2014 09:06:29 BDT
Jean says:
Hi I have just read your report on the new kindle and I am thinking of buying one just one point can you ask it questions and it gives you the answer I saw one on one of the shopping channel's and I thought it would be great when the grandchildren ask questions
Kind regards jean
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (328 customer reviews)

419.00