5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 17 July 2013
This review is from: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 (Mac/PC) (DVD-ROM)
I am a complete amateur and very rarely, up to now, bother to try to improve my photograph collection. Managing my photographs (around 28,000 now) has just meant using Microsoft Photo Gallery to add keywords and the odd bit of straightening horizons. My policy on digital photography was quantity over quality and take lots of photos with the hope that one or two percent would be good. then my best beloved bought me a Sony Nex 5r ( very good camera by the way) and I thought I should try and improve the way I took and managed my photographs.
Some time ago I bought Elements 9 to try to manage and improve my photographs but just found it too complicated to use and could not be bothered to use it. I migrated to Lightroom 5 from Elements 9 a couple of days ago and have found this a great improvement. Far easier to use once you get used to the concept of how Lightroom works and great results. Just been using this for a few days now and the results are impressive. The manager module is excellent and very easy to use; particularly easy to use and find your way around the metadata and keywords, far better than Elements. The developer options are so easy to use and get good results; in the couple of hours I have used Lightroom, I have used the slider to bring up highlights in the shadows and the new tool to straighten verticals, both of which are easy to use and work very well.
The one hurdle to get over is how Lightroom works. When I first used Lightroom, I could not find a "save" command (because there is not one). As Lightroom is non destructive it does not change the original file. Any changes made using Lightroom are made to the metadata of the photograph (including the change history to allow undos) and the original photograph file remains unaltered. When you view the photograph in Lightroom, it reads the original file and the Lightroom metadata and the combined results are viewed to show the changes /improvements. However if you view the photograph file in another programme that does not read the Lightroom metadata it will just show the original photograph, not the changes made in Lightroom. In order to save the changes made to the photograph file itself, you have to use the export command and this saves a copy of the photograph complete with changes to a new file. Please note, this is just my understanding, as a complete non-expert, on how Lightroom works and I welcome a more expert view.
Overall, a product that is easy to use and get great results both to manage and improve your photographs. All I need now is a good guide book to get the best out of it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Sep 2013 13:10:10 BDT
T. Pullen says:
The fact that LR does not save, by default, any adjustments you make to the original file it is true that if you then open that file, processed in LR, within a different application that those LR applied adjustments will not be recognised. You can try this by simply crooping and image in LR and then opening that same image in some other application i.e. PSE - no crop.

I believe the decision to not save the LR adjustments by default was taken by Adobe because of possible performance issues. You can change this default to always save these changes to the file [metadata] using the appropriate preferences setting and see if that impacts your machines perfomance or you can simply hit Ctrl+S to save the adjustments at any time or after a heavy editing session.

If you do none of this LR will continue to just save all image adjustments you make in its Catalogue which should you damage or suffer corruption/loss with this then all your hard work will be lost. So always backup your Catalogue, preferably in a different location/machine or get into the habit of saving metadata as you work or at the end of a session. You can also set up LR to error check, optimise and save your catalogue evey time you exit the application.

Hope this helps

Terry

Posted on 22 Nov 2013 23:22:40 GMT
me says:
Hi, I was reading your review and thought that this might be helpful to you as it has been very much my learning tool for LR and PSE
I have an app on the iPad and I normally pay £6 for 1 month subscription (not every month though, you pay as you go if you like) with unlimited access to any of the programs you may be interested. The tutors are very good in explaining in depth many things and you can even download exercise files to work along with. I hope it is something you can use, as I said, it really has been the best thing I have come across. All the best.

Posted on 28 Jun 2014 21:02:08 BDT
T. Jones says:
I purchased upgrade to Elements and found it far too complicated.
I use Apple's Appeture 3, but need software which this doesn't cover.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›