5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Impressed, 2 Feb. 2012
This review is from: DBPOWER® IP Webcam Internet CCTV Camera Infrated Night View WiFi Wireless Pan Tilt IR Black (Electronics)
I am so impressed with this camera. Setting up was extremely easy and the level of customisation is impressive. It works almost completely out of the box, through I can understand if people with little computer experience may find it difficult.

It comes preset on 192.168.1.126 local IP address, and if you're like me, your router is set on 192.168.0.1 you'll need to connect it to your computer first with the supplied network cable, set your network up manually to the same subnet (I used 192.168.1.1) then browse to the camera at 192.168.1.126:81 (or whatever it says on the box). Once you login, switch on DHCP in "Basic Network Settings". Disconnect it from your computer and connect it to your router then browse to the IP address your router assigns it, not forgetting the port 81. From there you can reserve an IP to the camera in your routers settings (check your router manual on how to do that).

You'll also need to assign port forwarding on your router to access it from outside your network (again, check your router manual). However it does come with DDNS (Dynamic DNS) so you may be able to skip the last step, I don't know, I didn't test this feature.

It works in any modern browser, I tested it in Chrome, Firefox and Safari on OS X. It also works flawlessly on the iPhone.

The alarm feature is excellent, though I found that the most complex part to setup. In the "Alarm Service Settings" you need to enable "Motion Detect Armed" and "Alarm Input Armed" then choose your method of delivery. I chose "Send Mail on Alarm". The scheduler UI is a little poor, having to set each individual 15 minute block for the week but I didn't bother with it and left it off, which sets the alarm 24/7.

To disable the alarm uncheck "Alarm Input Armed". It would be nice to have an easier way to arm/disarm the alarm, toggling it requires a 30 second restart each time. But if you forget to arm it when you leave the house you can always arm it when you remember from any computer.

Once you have set up the alarm, you'll need to set up your email (or chosen delivery settings). For email go to "Mail Service Settings" and enter the sender email (you can enter your own) and your receiver emails (also your own).

If you're using Gmail, then set SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com, SMTP Port: 465, Transport Layer Security Protocol: TSL, Need Authentication: Yes, SMTP User: <your email>, SMTP Password: <your password>. Check the "Report Internet IP by Mail" checkbox if you want to be reminded on how to access the camera (particularly good if you have a dynamic IP address.

You'll now get a 6 nice images of yourself delivered to your inbox when ever you walk into it's field of view.

One last note, the night vision is excellent and the resolution is perfect for its intended purpose. For < £40 this is camera is a must for any security conscious folk.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Feb 2012 14:03:16 GMT
Hi

I would like to set up one of these in a room away from the router. I have wireless internet on my computer which is from another (main) computer that has the router attached belonging to someone else. So, would I need to set up a home network or could I just use the main computer to configure (or whatever is the terminology) the camera without having to change anything on the main computer> Hope this makes some sort of sense! Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2012 20:12:10 GMT
I have a computer that connects wirelessly to a BT Home Hub 3 (router), and when I set the camera up, I only had to modify the camera settings.

I physically connected the camera to the Ethernet port on the Home Hub. Then after browsing on my PC to the camera using Internet Explorer, I had access to the camera functionality. I updated the camera's wireless settings to include the IP address of the Home Hub. Then I disconnected the camera from the physical Ethernet port and found that I still had connectivity from the PC to the camera. I then unplugged the camera from the mains; moved it upstairs to another room; plugged it into the mains again, and once again had connectivity from the PC to the camera.

If I remember rightly, it didn't quite happen that smoothly but only because I made a few typo types of errors along the way.

I don't have a 'main' computer in the way like you say, so I can't be certain that it'll be the same for you but the point I'm making is that, when using a BT Home Hub, I didn't need to configure anything else in between (I only use the camera for simple in-home access, not for access from around the world, which would have required router configuration).

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2012 11:07:49 GMT
Thank you I will have a think about the router situation.

Posted on 21 May 2012 16:23:52 BDT
Jon says:
Hi there and thanks for the very informative review, it made me purchase a camera knowing I had the above as a guide... the install guide is useless on these things!
One question, I'm trying to set up alarms using a Google account, I copied the above (other than TLS and not TSL for security protocol) and I get the error 'invalid perameters'. Nothing else. so useful as always!
Did you see this when you were setting up?
Thanks

Posted on 26 Aug 2012 18:28:36 BDT
Hi Marc,

I couldn't tell from your otherwise very helpful review,
Is this Camera only working in a browser?
What if I want to access it from a software like camtwist or maccam?

is it possible for it to work without a browser?

thanks

Posted on 29 Aug 2013 12:03:57 BDT
M Brown says:
Hi, Marc.
Very useful post. I can't help thinking that I have a different firmware version to yours. Mine quotes firmware version 50.2.128.143 and I don't get a "Alarm Input Armed" box on the Alarm Service Settings menu.

Try as I might to set some alarm window, as soon as I click on 'Setup' everything goes back to default, so I have not been able to set any FTP upload on motiopn detect. The camera does, however, have no problem uploading images at the fixed interval set.

Is there somewhere on the web where I can download a different version of the firmware?

Best regards, Mike

Posted on 22 Oct 2013 08:04:16 BDT
TheBigO says:
I went and bought one of these after viewing your review - but half of the software doesn't work in OS X. FTP is set up and validated -but never saves anything, even though Alarm is set (I think). Email service settings entered correctly (for Gmail) - but never works. Software is very very poor and support from the company is non-existent. No website, and no links to software/firmware updates. if I do not get a response from the seller in the next few days this item will be returned.

Posted on 7 Jan 2014 12:32:59 GMT
Pad.A says:
I wish it was as easy to set up as your review suggests but this Robert the Bruce has been beaten ! -p
‹ Previous 1 Next ›