5.0 out of 5 stars A monument to grunge., 23 Mar 2009
This review is from: Ten - Pearl Jam [Collectors Edition: Box Set] (Audio CD)
Back in the early 90s I personally had no specific tastes in music. highschool was just over, I was doing my national service in the army, 80s were over, things seemed a bit bland as far as I remember. I guess I was still sort of a lapsed Depeche Mode, The Cure, Echo kind of fan... I hadn't listened to Heavy Metal properly for 5 years or so. Biggest album for me in 1990-91 was The La's debute.

Then this mamoth of an album broke on the World.

I had heard Smells Like Teen Spirit and all that, but I tend to avoid whatever everyone suddenly likes, but then came Pearl Jam. And I was hooked line and sinker.

To this day I remember falling in love with Grunge. The whole Seattle scene, the people, the style, or lack there of. I didn't mind people calling music like this Grunge. I still don't. The bands might not have liked it then, or now, but I don't care, to me Grunge was and is a period in musical history that had an effect on me and my tastes.

Ok, so I didn't have the internet then, and some bands never caught my attention. Back then we had to rely on MTV (even in Norway) to tell us what was what (I never was a big radio listener, and what would that have mattered anyhow?), so I thought Stome Temple Pilots were part of it all (I suppose they were sort of, but from San Diego, who knew?), loved them, and I thought Alice in Chains were the same band as Soul Asylum (So, I hated them). Now I know better. Now I even think Nirvana was great, but that's Dave's doing, with his Foo Fighters.

Now I listen to Soundgarden, Alice, Sreaming Trees, Mother Love Bone, Mudhoney, Stone Temple Pilots and even L7. And yes, I keep them all on my ipod under my Grunge Playlist. So, maybe they don't agree, I don't know, I don't care, because Pearl Jam and their fantastic album Ten (and subsequent masterpiece VS.) caught me on my jaw with their sublime music, great lyrics and of course the otherworldly voice of Eddie Vedder.

This is where it all began to me, my musical moment of being young and defining my music. Even watching Singles on videotape a half million times.

This set it sublime. It holds such treasures to a Pearl Jam fan, it really needs to be seen. And heard. My biggest love in here so far is the MTV unplugged DVD. I have wanted to see this for years. Having seen Alice in Chains and Nirvanas set pieces out on DVD for quite a while now, it was about time.

The photo's are really fun to look through, some of the stuff is, well, fluff I suppose, but this isn't for the casual Pearl Jam listener, this is for the fans out there who absolutely adore them. And since I do, I can tell you, if you too adore them, this is well worth the wait and the cost.

A monumental piece of rock history this. Like the singer of Black Flag said. Nirvana might have been the band everyone considers the shining light of Grunge, but Pearl Jams Ten, you can't walk for 30 minutes in the Jungles of Brazil without finding a copy of... Or something to that effect.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]