5.0 out of 5 stars The Performance MX has it all, 15 Mar 2010
This review is from: Logitech MX Wireless Performance Mouse (Tracks on Glass) (Electronics)
I use it as a "laptop everywhere" mouse. I am very happy with it.

When my laptop goes into the docking station, I use it as a desktop mouse (so I only have the keyboard attached), as the unifying adapter stays plugged into the laptop. As the unifying adapter works with several peripherals, I could just get a wireless Logitech keyboard (like K800), and leave near the docking station.
I also use this mouse as a remote controller when watching movies from the sofa. I was planning to get an infrared remote, but this gets the job done, too.

I like:
- All surfaces really (vs. MS Bluetrack doesn't work on highly transparent surface, like glass kitchen table)
- Scroll-wheel can be switched to freewheel and rotary-click on the fly. This is the same cool as the Darkfield technology.
- DPI low/high can be changed on the fly (will have to sacrifice one of the buttons, ex. zoom or applicaiton switcher, though), the battery leds blink when dpi is changed
- Application switcher thumb button (altough this is different from XP/Vista/7 built in features and only works with the Logitech software)
- Battery can be charged during use, battery can be replaced to use standard AA alkaline battery, 3 leds show battery level
- Can work in parallel with other mouse
- Small radio transmitter (so great for laptops carried in bag, too)
- No pairing required, just switch on and it works (vs. Bluetooth and older wireless mouses need pairing and/or connect )
- On-off switch (saves battery power)
- No lag after idle
- No silly blue led that would illuminate

I didn't like (these are just minor things):
- Logitech driver feels old-school (low res icon graphics, non-standard dialogs and menus).
- Ergonomics are fine, just too futuristic for my liking (I prefer the MS/Razor Habu Gaming mouse ergonomics).
- This is unavoidable, but the receiver takes up 1 of 4 USB slots constantly in my laptop (vs Bluetooth mouse can work with built-in bluetooth, however I don't know how reliable is that)
- Application switcher not fast and smooth enough, so I rarely use it.
- Image zoom works in IrfanView 4.25, but doesn't work in Picasa 3.6.0 (under Windows XP).
- Back-Forward buttons are small for my liking, I prefer the huge buttons on the MS/Razor Habu ergonomis).
- Supplied USB cable is too rigid for mouse use. I use the cable of my Nokia phone, which is much softer.

In the box:
- Mouse
- Unifying transmitter
- USB cable with micro USB connector (cable also works with my Nokia phone, and can charge the mouse with Nokia charger)
- Power adapter has USB socket (compact size, works with the micro USB cable to charge the mouse or any other device, useful for overnight charging)
- USB extender cable (I've never used it)
- 2000 mAh AA NiMH battery GSYUASA EniTime (Sanyo eneloop style, keeps the charge)
- Soft carry bag for the cables (the mouse won't fit in this)
- Driver CD (outdated drives, download from logitech.com a fresh copy)
- Quick manual

I tried with Windows XP/Vista/7, worked well with all of them.
I think all mouse sensors will switch to the Darkfield or similar technology in 5+ years, it is so good.
I cannot tell about the battery life yet, and didn't try it with games. Very clean glass surfaces need a few minutes to get to work (so the surface gets dusty), as the sensor uses the dust particules to track the position.
It can be used in parallel with a wired mouse on the desktop (ie two mouses connected at the same time).

This is really a "has it all" type of mouse. I recommend both for laptop and desktop use.
For laptops, I recommend it over the Logitech MX Anywhere mouse, as this one can be charged/used with the USB cable, and works on more surfaces than the MS Bluetrack range. Also, the large sized MS desktop mouses have a huge USB key style adapter, which are not comfortable for laptop use.
Products referred:
Logitech MX Anywhere Mouse (Tracks on Glass)
Microsoft Explorer Mouse with Bluetrack
Microsoft Habu Laser Gaming Mouse

Update (2011 Feb):
* My current Dell E4310 has only two USB slots - so there is only one left for pendrive, webcam, external HDD, headset, card reader.
* Now I have Windows 7, works well.
* The middle button click in Firefox opens up a link in a new tab - somehow this only works after 3-4 click. I don't know if this is a problem with an addon in * Firefox, or a Mouse driver issue.
* I use one of the extra keys (Application switcher) to switch on off my 2nd screen, and the other extra button (zoom) to move windows from one screen to the other. Great feature.
* Instead of charging, I just bring a box of 4 Sanyo Eneloop batteries with me when I travel, and swap when low on battery.
* Battery lasts about 2-3 weeks without switching off the mouse and daily use.

Update (2012 Jan):
The middle button click was erratic in all applications (but it seems I used it mainly in Firefox).
Logitech customer support told me to send the mouse back for warranty at the point of purchase.
There is a DIY method to fix it on Instructables.

Update (2014 Jan):
The middle click button still was really disturbing, as I would use it more and more (a typical usage is to close tabs in Chrome/Firefox).
I ordered a new mouse, but the middle button had even more problems, so I have sent it back.
Otherwise, the mouse works well.
I use WinsplitRevolution to organize windows on a double screen setup, and I use "Zoom" button to move windows between screens, and the Application Switcher to minimize/maximize windows.

[Add comment]