5.0 out of 5 stars Digital rip off, 19 Jan 2012
This review is from: Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidons Children 1) (Hardcover)
As a long time Alastair Reynolds fan I was looking forward to this because I found terminal world hard work and unrewarding so I was hoping that this departure rekindled his work which I have previously enjoyed so much.

Alas, I am not going to find out. I have long ago given up on tree books and was looking forward to a quick download and a quiet evening with the ipad and (hopefully) a great book. However, I refuse to pay more for a digital download than the actual hardback. Not because I value the tree copy more but because until the publishers understand we aren't stupid and price sensibly they are going to continue to lose out to pirates and the vast choice of books which are priced correctly.

With a digital book there are no printers, transport costs, paper costs, postage costs etc etc so why is it priced higher than the paper book?

The publisher also seems to think we will pay more for a just released book. Well I for one can wait until it is reduced and if we all do that then the prices will become more realistic.

Publishers seem to have learned nothing from the music and film industry when it comes to pirating. £10 for a book which may, or may not be any good is a huge investment but if it is rubbish you can at least sell it on here or auction sites yet a digital download is fixed to your reader so cannot be sold or easily lent to a friend.

Authors spend years writing novels which give readers a week or more of pleasure so they are certainly due a great return on that time and I don't feel that is being well served by the publishing industry.

More books sold for a lower price makes sense as you will gain more readers who take a chance on a new author and as paper books dwindle, as they will, overall costs will be low enough for everyone to profit.

I understand that the publishers spend a lot of this money promoting these and other books but there again, costs should come down with more digital marketing through newsgroups, twitter, forums, blogs and facebook.

I know Alastair embraced the idea of a self authored website a long time before it became popular as I was one of those he contacted to look at what was possible so c'mon Alastair, get your publisher to move with the times!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Jan 2012 22:05:10 GMT
C Crute says:
Let's not forget you have no resale rights on an eBook! I used to buy newly released hardbacks, read them, and recoup 3/4 of the purchase price on ebay. You don't truly own an ebook, you licence the right to read it, most readers will do so only once. Why should you pay so much?

Posted on 19 Jan 2012 22:25:17 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 19 Jan 2012 22:25:36 GMT]

Posted on 19 Jan 2012 23:31:18 GMT
JasonKenny says:
As Mr. Coughtrey pointed out, there is VAT on ebooks which does not apply to pulp. So rather than encouraging the green credentials of ebooks, our government are strangling the new medium! Is it because no fossil fuels are burned getting the book to you therefore depriving them of fuel duty?

Posted on 20 Jan 2012 01:02:09 GMT
Mr. MD Folan says:
Completely agree with all that. I was looking forward to this book, but since getting my Kindle I have decided to not buy any more physical books. But at £10 there's no way I'm buying this so will also be waiting for the price to come down to a reasonable amount.

Posted on 20 Jan 2012 12:27:56 GMT
M. Arts says:
I totally get that everyone is complaining about eBook pricing, but then not to buy such a great book seems a bit silly to me. Totally worth the price.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jan 2012 12:38:44 GMT
JasonKenny says:
I will buy it buy when it is cheaper. I am in no rush.

Posted on 20 Jan 2012 19:26:39 GMT
C. Rigby says:
I totaly agree with this review come on publishers lets have some sensible pricing for e-books

Posted on 21 Jan 2012 08:31:06 GMT
Lost says:
Just do what I am going to do. Read it at the Library. That way the publishers gets minimal money for the book and will hopefully learn that by over charging for E- books they are cutting their own margins.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jan 2012 09:46:31 GMT
JasonKenny says:
You mean a paper book? Yuk! No thanks! If I wanted to read pulp I would buy it, read it, then sell it on here for 3/4 of whatever I paid for it. I read quickly and carefully and have lost the attachment I used to have to keeping books.

Posted on 21 Jan 2012 10:23:37 GMT
Barrett says:
I don't understand your 'review' of this book, you have given it 5 stars but I cannot see from your review whether you have actually read the book. This isn't a review of the book but a complaint of the prices and should be posted elsewhere.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (117 customer reviews)

£18.99 £15.19