3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic songs, intrusive "remastering"..., 12 Nov. 2011
This review is from: White Heat: 30 Hits (2cd+dvd) (Audio CD)
Edited to add - there is a large portion of my tongue firmly in my cheek in the following review - I can summarise it very quickly - the remastering has changed the sound of some the tracks massively, if that may worry you listen on Spotify first for free before shelling out (it's the perfect app for comparing original/remasters back to back).

Ichouse were the soundtrack to my mid/late 80's and produced, to me at any rate, some of the best songs about at that time. I played Man of Colours on tape (youngsters note: tape cassette - a kind of analogue removable memory cartridge that could store, oh say 20 odd songs*) to death whilst boyracering around Essex in my black Gordini Turbo in 1987. 1987. 24 years ago. Oh god. Here comes the depression. Youth. Hell just being slim! Anyways, all the tracks on Measure for Measure and Man of Colours represent poignant and happy memories for me. I think it was this Man of Colours I was listening to when I encountered another black Gordini Turbo on `my' patch and set out to prove that my car was indeed blacker than his until we got pulled by a plain clothes rozzer who, it turns out, wasn't too impressed with my overtaking technique (wrong side of the bollard on a zebra crossing). His opening words to me will be etched on my memory forever *ahem* "You must be some kind of c***!!!!" Essex coppers. Great stuff. Where were we? Yes, every song is like a little time capsule - you know how things just trip forgotten memories? It's all like that - well it is if you were into Icehouse at the time and for that, this compilation is truly marvelous.

Now the bad (and it is really bad in some cases) - the term "remaster" in this instance basically means every track has been run through additional compression and some pretty brutal limiting. Now to be fair, this can really benefit the rockier tracks which weren't pushed so hard when originally mastered in analogue days and so sound nicely "beefier" as a result . . . but there also appears to have been a relativey hefty amount of top end (8khz plus) added which makes extended listening at decent volume levels extremely uncomfortable. And it's the quieter tracks that have really suffered the most from this approach however - particularly Man of Colours title track, whose beautiful dynamics have all but gone. Just compare the original 1987 master to this "remaster" - complete night and day. Bit disappointing that such a great collection could almost be ruined. My advice is before you fork out a hefty amount to get this collection over from Australia - listen to the tracks on Spotify first and see whether you like the remastered sound.

Overall then - Songs/muscianship/memories = 5 stars , remastering = 1 star.

*no shuffle facility.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Dec 2011 20:45:39 GMT
Wow-what a joke this "review" was. Yet another smug, self-serving audiophile lunatic. If you want the old, dated sonics stick with the old releases-why would you even get something in 2011 that you know has been remastered if you're such a music snob? The remastering does not provide squashed dynamics, there is nothing offensive and it most certainly is NOT uncomfortable. It IS uncomfortable reading a ridiculous review like this. People, don't worry, it sounds very nice and if this boob was such a sonic genius why is he reviewing on Amazon and not remastering albums himself?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2012 15:43:50 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Jan 2012 16:16:53 GMT
smash says:
Lunatic Audiophile? You're so wrong, I don't care whether it's 24 bit 96k, 16 bit 44.1k, MP3, AAC, CD, Tape or Vinyl - if it sounds good that's all I care about. Period.

I happily admit the review is a melodrama of `Neighbours' proportions but the fact is the remastering here has been done in a very heavy handed fashion and yes, dynamics that should've been handled transparently have been squashed. You can make things louder without killing dynamics - that's down to the skill of the master engineer.

People, don't worry, don't listen to me and don't listen to Invisible Pedestrian either - listen YOURSELF freely to the remasters on Spotify and then make up your own mind.

I'm not egotistical enough to think my opinion should stop someone buying something hence my concluding suggestion for perspective purchasers to pre-audition on Spotify in the first place before spending their hard earned! It costs nothing afterall. I'd like to think however that I've flagged something that potentially may/may not concern people who are about to shell out over £35 on this CD.

PS I'm really not averse to brickwalling dynamics or a bit of distortion as Man of Colours gathering storm mix on youtube proves...

Posted on 6 Jan 2012 00:46:40 GMT
Gordini turbo in black? 6 stars

Posted on 21 Jan 2012 00:29:03 GMT
DUBNO says:
Anyone can report that contains the DVD material, if any videos or concert? thanks in advance, a fan from Argentina.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2012 09:28:37 GMT
DJ Control says:
There are 33 videos on the dvd,some of them alternate versions.I believe this collection is worth the money for the dvd alone!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (14 customer reviews)

Reviewer