1.0 out of 5 stars I can't possibly rate this book as I have bever received it., 24 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Long and the Short of It: Poems 1955-2005 (Paperback)
I ordered this on Dec 8, as a present for my elderly mother who was taught by Roy Fisher and is a great fan.
After one email saying it was not going to arrive in time for Christmas, I have heard nothing. I can't find any way to contact the seller.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Feb 2011 16:28:51 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Feb 2011 16:47:30 GMT
Dear kate,

I ordered from Amazon and am still waiting. I wonder if Ian MCMillan's mention of the book on Desert Island Discs has led to there being a run on it. Surely you can contact the seller through Amazon. Good luck in getting the book. I would dearly love a copy myself.

I have just ordered from Inpressbooks.co.uk and we shall see

Best wishes,

Kevin Morris

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Feb 2011 22:05:05 GMT
Hello Kevin.
I the end I managed to get my mum a different book - Poems 1955-87. I tried ordering the Long and the Short Of It from Waterstones too, but with no luck.
I do have a postal address for Roy Fisher. He was my mother's English tutor at Teaching College and they still swap Christmas cards. If you like I could write to him.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Mar 2011 19:55:29 GMT
Dear Kate,

My order from Impress Books came through quickly thanks. Impress make a thing of the manximum amount going to the writer. If you still want the book at any point, Google Impress Books and you'll find it. If they had come though Amazon, I suspect that Roy would have got far less out of it. It cost £12 but that is the price on the book. I suspect it may be a case of Bloodaxe Books being reluctant to supply to Amazon because they always want a big discount.

Out of interest do you know where Roy lives? I don't want his address, just his town or village. I know one of his poetry collections is called Down Low Drop and Dow Low is a place near Buxton. I like to put places to what people write. I know he lives in Derbyshire and he is a jazz pianist which also interests me as one myself.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Mar 2011 22:20:06 GMT
Kate says:
Hi. You are spot on. Roy lives in a village near Buxton.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Mar 2011 22:34:52 GMT
Kate says:
By the way - perhaps now you have a copy you should post a review? Even if Amazon will never supply it!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2011 18:04:31 GMT
Dear kate,

I might review it at some point, but his poetry is very demanding. It'll be quite a time before I get round to it, I think.

All the best,

Kevin

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2011 11:37:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Sep 2011 21:07:21 BDT
GlynLuke says:
Kate, may I respectfully suggest that the review page is not the place for complaints. A one-star review might put off others from reading the book, especially if they only see the one star & move on.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2011 21:13:10 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Sep 2011 21:17:55 BDT
Dear Mr Luke,

You may have a point, but when I see particularly bad reviews, I always check to see what the review was about. In this case, it was about Amazon advertising a book when they couldn't fulfill the order. If you read the comments you will find a very good natured conversation which makes it plain that others had the same problem. The person who wrote the review made it clear that she obtained another title by the same poet whilst I explain that I was able to obtain the book from the distributor, Impress Books. It is clear fromthose comments that the reviewer still wanted a title by Roy Fisher, whilst my comments directed prospective purchasers of the title to somewhere they would actually obtain it.

Now that is the clearest example of grassroots democracy I have seen for some time.

I might add that the reason Amazon were unable to supply the book was probably because the asking price from their supplier had increased, or because the distributor's policy has changed and they refuse to supply their titles to Amazon at a price that is not economic for them. Frankly, I wouldn't blame them if the latter proved to be the case.

Incidentally, the title was well worth waiting several months for, but the last time I checked it was still unobtainable from Amazon. I notice that now the profiteers are asking silly money from this title. Those who wish to buy from Impress Books will probably still pay around £12.99

Best wishes,

Kevin Morris

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2012 16:25:23 GMT
GlynLuke says:
But these are review pages, not for complaints about delivery or condition of item.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2012 19:15:32 GMT
OK. Enough already.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.0 out of 5 stars (2 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £5.36