5.0 out of 5 stars Speedy, Small and Super - get one, you know you want to!, 5 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Samsung NC10 10.2-inch Netbook (Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, Windows XP Home, Blue) (Electronics)
Grab yourself a coffee, this is a long 'un (but detailed I hope).

I'd been looking to get a netbook for a while, but after purchasing the Asus 901 I was disapointed due to how underpowered it was. After searching around and waiting some more I stumbled across the NC10, and I've wanted one ever since.

The NC10 can handle everything I've thrown at it, from Notepad++ and GCC compilers (programming) to Photoshop (runs albiet slowly). The battery life is amazing and it runs better than my old 15.4" laptop thats about 3-4 years old.

The keyboard is perfect size, I have relatively large hands and fingers yet I could touch type after only 30 minutes, and I'm writing this review without issue. The only minor niggle for me is the left shift is larger than standard, while the right shift is smaller than the right (not normal), and the fact that the \ key has been moved from the left side to the right. I would be supprised if this affected many people but being a programmer and Linux user it gets a bit confusing at times.

On to Linux - this machine runs Ubuntu 8.10 like a dream, much smoother than XP, much nicer to look at too. Almost everything worked out of the box, the remainder was easy to setup, the only thing that still won't work is turning off the wlan.

XP is slightly laggy at the lowest clock speed (800MHz), so if you are trying to keep your machine alive be prepared to wait a little, Linux doesn't have this issue as you can turn on the "on-demand" option to run at whatever speed is needed.

As for screen size, its perfectly adequate although some applications on XP are hard to use as their OK/Apply/Cancel buttons are off screen; again Linux doesn't have this problem.

The touchpad is fine to use, the edges are a bit hard to determine but if you by a good leather book-style case that'll mark the edges fine.

The wireless is more powerful than my powerhouse PC and can pick up many networks which that can't (due to the PC having an ariel not a radial signal), its fast and reliable.

A word of warning, some people have found that turning on their NC10 for the first time enables the numlock, I too had the same problem and you'll find yourself scratching your head over the issue when entering a password or something similar. To disable the numlock press fn + F11

Easthetically, the blue colour is very nice, its a dark blue. I would suggest shopping around to see if you can talk some nice sales person into showing you a blue model, just to make sure.

I have no problem with carrying this around, its light and compact, very portable and I've already done work on the bus journey home.

The build quality is very good, everything seems sturdy and unlike most netbooks, a firm tap on the back of the screen won't send ripples over the screen, so it should be harder to break the LCD. The keys are nice to use and the touchpad is a nice surface. You can't turn the power on without the screen being opened (the power button is on the side) so theres no worries of accidentally turning it on when travelling. Finally the hinges are very well made, my last laptop after a couple of years cracked at the hinges, they looked weak when I purchased it and it turned out to be true, the hinges on this are big and sturdy so I shouldn't expect they would crack as soon.

Finally, don't upgrade the RAM, the tiny bit of speed you'll get is hardly worth the money, instead invest the same money into the nice leather case I suggested. I got mine from eBay for £21 and its fantastic, the brand is Ultimate Addons if anyone is interested.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Mar 2009 09:42:09 GMT
bookwormsu says:
Thank you that is a very helpful review giving helpful tips. I have ordered mine and shuld arrive soon. Nice to know about the num lock for instance in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2009 06:41:09 BDT
I had exactly the same problem with the numlock. I couldn't get connected to internet and I assumed that it was a problem with my pc. But actually it was because the password I was typing in wasn't correct because the numlock was messing up some of the characters !

Posted on 27 Jul 2009 10:44:38 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Jul 2009 10:45:30 BDT
R. Chohan says:
I would like details of installing Ubuntu or other Linux distro on this netbook please: was it straightforward. Any details would be very helpful. Also using for internet connectivity: easy, straightforward etc? Any other issues?

Posted on 18 Aug 2009 07:53:16 BDT
Good review and matches my own experience with this fantastic little netbook. The one disagreement I have is with the memory - I would strongly recommend upgrading to 2 gigs, it shouldn't cost more than about £25 and is well worth it for multitasking in either Linux or Win XP. Otherwise, great review. :-)

Posted on 29 Aug 2009 14:38:47 BDT
Will says:
good review but definitely DO upgrade the ram! 1gb to 2gb makes a huge difference and is only gonna set you back a score

Posted on 23 Sep 2009 21:33:52 BDT
Mark Hendrie says:
Thanks for a very informative review, can you tell me what the battery life is like please? Thanks, Mark.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›