5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product, fan does an excellent job allowing me to run a good overclock., 10 Aug. 2013
This review is from: ARCTIC Alpine 64 Pro Rev.2 - 90 Watts Low Noise CPU Cooler for AMD Sockets with Patented Fan Holder - Patented Anti-Vibration System (Personal Computers)
Fan itself is a fair bit bigger than it looks in the picture, I read other customers reviews and they stated it was a large fan, I was still surprised at how large it was when it turned up about 6 days after dispatch date.

Fan sits very close to the first RAM module on my motherboard (Although I am using this on a Micro ATX motherboard in a Micro ATX case), I could maybe squeeze a credit card or two between the fan and the RAM module, in terms of performance, this fan does an excellent job and keeps my system running much cooler, maximum of 25 degrees at idle versus a maximum of about 46 degrees with stock cooler, even under load this CPU cooler performs well, also comes with pre-applied thermal compound, fitting was a doddle as it is compatible with the existing AMD bracket on the motherboard. Bargain at £9.70 including delivery, can't recommend this product highly enough.

Fitting is seriously easy, as for the people who said the pictures in the instructions were unclear, I've no idea what they're talking about, the pictures were extremely clear and there was absolutely no need for any text, as the pictures are self-explanatory, simply remove the product from the packaging, loosen the screws on the fan slightly, remove the old stock cooler, seat the fan, fiddle with the clip on brackets on the side of the new fan, tighten the screws on the fan, and connect up the CPU fan cable to the motherboard.

Fiddling with the mounting clips/hooks on the side of this fan is the most annoying and time consuming bit, every other part of the installation is done very quickly. Having said that, this fan took me no more than 10 minutes to install, and this is the first time I've ever installed a new CPU fan.

No software needed, simply reboot, and you're good to go.

Again, excellent product, works very very well, and at an absolute steal of a price.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Aug 2013 15:05:57 BDT
M. D. Rawson says:
I am doing my first build with micro atx and an athlon II x4 740. Would I also be fine over clocking with this cooler? Also I have small heat spreaders on my ram Crucial BLT2G3D1608DT1TX0CEU 2GB Ballistix Tactical Memory, do you think I will have enough room?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Aug 2013 21:04:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Aug 2013 21:05:21 BDT
WS1995 says:
That depends on your motherboard, mine is also Micro ATX and there was just about enough space, this gives me a steady overclock from the stock 3.6GHZ to a stable 4.2GHZ on my AMD FX-4100 quad core CPU, I did have to increase the voltage from 1.40 to 1.45 volts otherwise it did bluescreen and freeze up but that is to be expected if you don't increase the power (voltage) to the motherboard and CPU but step up it's performance.

You should be able to overclock to almost 1GHZ or maybe more, just make sure you don't put the voltage any higher than what your processor or motherboard can handle or you will damage them, possibly irreversibly.

If you would like any more suggestions, please feel free to reply.

Posted on 17 Nov 2013 13:31:34 GMT
Gonzonator says:
I too have an m-ATX board in an m-ATX case, and I'm worried about how close this might be to my RAM.. can you give me a rough diameter on the unit (nearest mm will do!) so I can check if it will fit, as it ticks all the other boxes? Many thanks.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›