5.0 out of 5 stars Why did I wait ????, 31 Jan 2013
This review is from: Asus RT-N66U - 900Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router, Gigabit LAN/WAN, 2x USB, Print FTP UPnP VPN Server, IPv6, 8x SSID, Wireless 3D HD content streaming, 3 Year Warranty (Personal Computers)
I got one of these because I had a Virgin Media (not so) Super Hub. I also had another router servicing the lounge area of the house and a repeater from that in the kitchen to reach the back of the house and my bedroom above. It's a large house and this was the only way to get wireless service all around the house. So I switched the super hub into modem mode, disconnected the other router and repeater then connected the Asus.

It was simple to set up. The user interface is intuitive and delivers plenty of power and options to suit most users. The first thing I noticed was a much improved internet speed. I think this is down to the super hub only having to be a modem. I then checked range. The Asus is positioned in the front of the house in my office. I went to the furthest point away upstairs and tried connecting my iPhone 5 and iPad. Both had a full signal which was unheard of before. The speed that both devices flew around the internet was nothing like I had experienced with my previous setup.

I then put it to a bigger test. I started downloading a 6Gb file on my PC, connected my Apple TV and started streaming a HD movie trailer, connected my iPhone 5 and iPad and my wife's iPad Mini and got them all streaming movie trailers. This would be enough to put any ISP through its paces. All devices worked perfectly at the same time with no lag.

I must say that this is probably the best purchase I have made in a long time. I only wished I had done it months, even years before (had it been available then).

The way I look at it is that I pay a significant amount of money for a 60Mb internet service and for what is really a comparatively small outlay now get to benefit the full 60Mb.

So if you want the advice of a technology and gadget junky, stop messing about and get one of these. By the way, I never write reviews!!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Jan 2014 15:25:58 GMT
R Moore says:
I'm not particularly clued up on routers/hubs etc... but I was wondering if you could advise me. I'm with VM and I also have a Superhub. So would I still require the Superhub in order to use this router i.e. this router doesn't entirely replace the Superhub? I also noticed in your review that you mentioned that you switched Superhub into modem mode? Is this easy to do?
Thanking you in advanced.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2014 15:40:56 GMT
spindr64 says:
Hi

You can enter the Superhub settings from your browser and select the option to put it into modem only mode. Its really quite simple. Your book gives you the IP address to type into your browser to log into your Superhub and gives you the default name and password. Once you have done that, plug the lead in to your Asus and that becomes the router. Best router I have come across for the money yet :-). Hope this helps......

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2014 23:51:15 BDT
Mr. P. Smith says:
I have the superflub 2 from virgin which is situated on the first floor. My HTC and Xbox are on the floor below, basically under the SH2, but I get constant drop in wifi. This router you have reviewed, is it doing great through walls/floors etc etc??

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2014 09:54:51 BDT
spindr64 says:
Hi

All I can say is that it has a much further reach than the super hub had. It also has 3 arials that you can point in the directions you need.
You can also consider the Devolo WiFi Power Line adapters which you can plug one into the super hub and another into a wall socket in the room where you need the wifi connection and that will also do it. I have a large house and use a combination of this router and Devolo wifi adapters at the very far end of the house and have great coverage all over.

Hope this helps