5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag, not sure about carry straps (Edit, I am now - they're great!), 28 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Berghaus Prime II 60 Wheeled Travel Bag (Sports)
As flight crew, I am quite hard on my baggage. I've been using Samsonite bags up until now, but needed a bigger one. Given it's good reviews I thought I'd give this one a go.

For the price, this seems to be somewhat on a par with the Samsonite bags in the £120 bracket I've been using. The finishing isn't as good as Samsonite, but the materials & stitching are on a par, and the wheels, telescopic handle, internal design and zips are better. I would expect it to last longer because of the better wheels & telescopic handles, which are the Achillies heel(s) of Samsonite bags.

The telescopic handle, although a mundane feature, really is superlative. Burghaus have managed to get the length just right so that it's out of the way while walking, while keeping it *so* rigid, without any of the wobbly flex my Samsonite's have.

Internally, the fold out packaging system is useful for separating things out. Additionally, it has been designed so that you can really overstuff the outside back pocket.

I'm not so sure about the shoulder strap system though; the loops and clips are all plastic, so given the size of the bag, I'm not convinced they are strong enough. However, I haven't tried.

One other problem I've had is that it won't balance on it's end when fully packed - it just falls over. It's not a huge issue, but does mean I need to lean it against something.

EDIT: after 9 months, the bag still looks and feels pretty much new, with no obvious wear or damage. The wheels (always the first thing to wear out on Samsonite bags) are absolutely 100%. I've used the shoulder straps on a few occasions when the bag was pretty heavy and the plastic loops and clips were fine. It wasn't that comfortable though - I wouldn't go trekking across the Himalayas with this on your back - but for a few miles it's fine. The only negative that I have noticed is that it is incredibly loud when pulled over tarmac - a neighbour commented the other day that it sounded like a freight train!

Edit 2: I'm 5'8" and have no problem with kicking the bag whist in tow. Also to add that after 18 months it is still in use. The fabric has taken an inevitable battering but is OK. The wheels spin freely and the handle is still as stiff as the day I got it. I've also use the shoulder straps a couple more times and have confidently carried it several miles whilst overstuffed with holiday gear. Given that the Samsonite bags I was using before all gave up before the 18 month mark, I'd say it's going pretty well. The only thing that annoys me is that is doesn't have webbing in the main compartment to hold everything down.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Mar 2015 14:08:34 GMT
pol098 says:
Review: "The telescopic handle is superlative. Burghaus have managed to get the length just right so that it's out of the way while walking, while keeping it rigid." With no indication of the user's height and personal preferences, this worries me (prospective buyer). The first wheeled luggage I bought seemed fine in the shop, but was back-breaking in real life (handle too short for me, fairly tall at 1.85m)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2015 20:55:57 GMT
Persephone says:
Good point: I'll edit the review.

I'm 5'8" and don't have any prob's kicking the bag whilst in tow.
Also to add that the bag is now 18 months old and still going strong. The wheels and handle are as new; the fabric is a bit battered.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›