2.0 out of 5 stars WHY WHY WHY?!, 19 April 2013
This review is from: A State Of Trance 2013 - Mi (Audio CD)
I hate to sound like a broken record (although I don't as much as some of the tracks on ASoT 2013), but what is with this modern obsession with pitchbends? They sound atrocious and, although perhaps not as prevalent as on other recent compilations, they still crop up too often for my liking, particularly on CD2.
I can't criticise an album purely for this, but unfortunately in my opinion it has many other faults. I'm really surprised at the positivity around this album; maybe it's my fault for comparing it to previous ASoT's, especially 2005 and 2006 which were stunning. The majority of tracks on this album are much rougher and harsher than those on previous albums, and many of them, especially CD2, sounds broadly the same. They have those rough synth sounds and layers that resemble some sort of crazy classical song. The smooth blending synths and complex, fascinating and catchy keys simply don't exist on this album compared to previous efforts, in my opinion. I had to listen to most of CD2 with the volume really low.
Who am I to judge Armin VB? He must know what people are enjoying listening to at the moment, surely? I must just prefer the older stuff, but to me, it's so much better. This is a lot harsher and more difficult to appreciate for me.
I suppose one positive is that, unlike many trance albums that aren't trance these days, this IS trance... it's just not as good as the older stuff, far from it. And it's not as if all of 'new trance' songs sound like this, there are still some quality albums with what I call 'proper,' 'thoughtful' or 'smooth' trance out there - the more melodic stuff I suppose (but not cheesy).
There are a few good tracks on here. CD1 is better than 2 in my opinion, and I particularly like Lullaby Lonely and Eterna, and there are a couple of others that are half decent too.
But for those of you - perhaps the minority? - who prefer less severe trance music, try the new Solarstone stuff and give 'Moments in the Sun Volume 1' by the Unearthed label a try. The latter isn't perfect but certainly more my style.
I suppose, as I've said before, Armin is only offering the 'State' that he sees trance to be in for each year. But if this is anything to go by, it's not in a very good state at the moment.

In my opinion.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]