4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for beginners, 25 Jan 2012
This review is from: Just Spring (Paperback)
I've been programming client side programming for years but recently thought I should train myself up on some backend java. I bought this book so I could understand the basics of Spring. I think overall it is a good book, short and to the point however I think an extra section needs adding to it. I think it needs an overview section about Spring, why would you use it and where it fits in the enterprise architectures.

I think the author assumes that whoever is reading this book already has a background in enterprise. As this book is an introduction I'm not sure this assumption is correct so a little more background info would be very useful.

Overall though I liked the way the book was structured; it was to the point and the examples where well thought out. If only more book were kept as brief as this.

Update: I thought I would add an update about this book now that I have learn't more about Spring as I've used it in anger since my initial review comments.

I still consider this to be required reading by anyone who wishes to gain the basics concepts of Dependancy Injection (DI) and Spring. I have read it twice now and I think it gives a very good explanation of the concepts and how to get up to speed with the fundamentals of Spring.

In future I think the book needs to consider the use of Annotations for wiring and not just XML. In recent times Spring has added support for JSR330 which is the guideline for supporting DI using Annotations and I think in future an understanding of this will be essential for any Spring developer.

[Add comment]