2.0 out of 5 stars The good, the bad, and the ugly, 28 Oct 2010
This review is from: Norton Internet Security 2011, 3 Computers, 1 Year Subscription (PC) (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my second Norton Internet Security product, having got this one to update from version 2010. As a company IT director, I need all my PC's (both home and work) to have up-to-date, reliable, and stress-free protection. Despite Norton being the best on the market, I don't like it, but will continue to use it until it is beaten.

The Good
--------
1. Norton Internet Security has been recognised by many IT magazines as having the greatest virus detection rate on the market. For that reason alone, buy it and use it (regardless of my complaints).

2. The install procedure is fast, and the product is low on system resources, which is good.

3. SQL Server 2008 can now (finally!) be used across machines using Norton 2011 without changes to the firewall being required. Previously, Norton 2010 would not allow SQL through the firewall despite endless tinkering with settings. Of course this will only benefit a small number of users.

The Bad
-------
1. Being forced to enter my details as part of the install is a pain, but I understand that this is part of the registration (anti-piracy) process. At least we don't get emails from Norton once details are submitted.

2. A reboot is required after install. No bad thing considering Norton 2011 needs to get the latest protection updates. After install though, LiveUpdate states that it was last run 76 days ago (eh?!). After running the update, another reboot is required. This is a pain - other titles download the updates before product installation to prevent this being required

3. Norton does not just simply sit there quietly and protect you. There are too many distracting 'bells and whistles' that detract from its core value (see below)

The Ugly
--------
1. The interface is hideous, with important functionality like RUN SCAN and RUN UPDATE all needing to be more prominent. The big Activity Map button is redundant and does nothing when pressed

2. The events map is a complete waste of time and resources. I don't care how many cyber attacks are occuring in Mumbai, Singapore or Manchester; all I want is the confidence that I am protected

3. After installing, updating and rebooting, I loaded up my internet browsers (Firefox and IE8). Norton had installed toolbars into each to protect my credit card details (there is no option to stop this). Amazingly, neither browser would allow me access to the internet (Firefox showed a 'The URL is not valid' error). After disabling all Norton toolbars, both browsers worked perfectly. This is simply unacceptable. (I appreciate again this won't happen to everyone).

4. Both Norton 2010 and Norton 2011 can play havoc with Windows 7 Homegroups. I'm not sure this is definitely Norton's fault (although other people online are complaining too), but my Homegroup permissions were messed up after installing this, and networked computers couldn't see each other, despite 'Full Trust' mode being set for them. Anyway if you encounter this problem, the solution that I used is here: (suppressed by Amazon - will try posting in comments section)

Overall I don't dislike this product. I recommend it because it does a very good job of what its supposed to do. Sadly though, these basic tasks are overwhelmed with bells, whistles and glitches that lower the value and increase your frustration. For me, its 2/5 stars simply because it's 4.20pm and making Norton 2011 work as expected has taken a full day.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Nov 2010 11:41:56 GMT
Solution to problem described in review is here:

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2010 12:37:00 GMT
Su says:
There is a silent running option if you don't want to be interrupted

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Dec 2010 17:33:32 GMT
Derek says:
Does this version have a Firewall? The previous 2010 version of NIS had a "Smart Firewall" but there is not a mention on the box of the 2011 NIS 2011 Performance Pack that says it has a Firewall.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2010 11:50:34 GMT
Hi Derek

Yes Smart Firewall is there and is endlessly configurable just like before :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2011 10:46:39 GMT
Derek says:
Hi Rouchie,
Many thanks for your helpful reply. As a result, I've bought it and will install when my NIS 2010 expires next week.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2011 11:08:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Jan 2011 11:11:08 GMT
Rouchie, Many thanks for your review. I had intended to buy NIS 2011 given it's being reduced to 23 but as I run Homegroup your difficulties in this respect deterred me from going for NIS 2011. While NIS2011 may have a smaller footprint and be faster the homegroup issue is a real turn-off. So I'll stay with Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, adequate and fully compatible with homegroup

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2011 12:22:39 GMT
Hi Ross
At 23 I would recommend taking the risk, as NIS will have far better detection capabilities that MSE. For me, forgetting Homegroup entirely and just using the Windows User Accounts and Sharing tools (like with all versions of Windows since the year dot) worked well with NIS. For some reason, all the 'simple tools' Microsoft have released in recent years have been dreadfully inadequate and poorly tested (see my blazing Win 7 reviews...!). I suppose its convenience vs protection. One day (in about 2000 years) all software will just work perfectly...! Good luck anyway and thanks for your feedback... :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2011 14:15:35 GMT
Many thanks for your reply that I will consider again before making a final decision. I had used Norton in the past but considered it too bloated and slowing matters. Moreover NIS support was poor. I also searched the web and there seemed to be no solution to this matter. I've found MSE OK so I remain somewhat unconvinced of the extra benefits provided by NIS 1011. Also MSE has received generally positive reviews whilst recognising limitations that do not seem to be critical. Do I assume that you have kept NIS 2011 installed?

Regards, Ross

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2011 16:06:01 GMT
Hi Ross
Yes, I did keep it installed and now have it on all three of my machines. It *is* very powerful, but again, some people would argue that Windows breaks itself without Norton having any part in the problems. I'm not sure, as for me the problems began around the same time as installing Norton. If your happy with Microsoft's offering there's no point in making life difficult. I always just recommend that people keep a copy of their important data on a device that's not permanently connected to the PC, just in case of viral attacks/firewall breaches. That's the only way to be completely sure...!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2011 08:14:31 GMT
Many thanks for your patience. Pleased to hear that you kept NIS 2011 installed. Did you find a workaround to resolve the homegroup problem that you raised and if so how?

Thanks again, Ross