2.0 out of 5 stars A let down, 7 July 2014
This review is from: Logitech G500s Laser USB Gaming Mouse (Personal Computers)
I'm a big fan of Logitech products but I have to say this is not one of them. I done quite a bit of research before buying this mouse and pretty much all the reviews were positive but I regret to say that after a month of use the G500s has not lived up to its reputation.

The first thing that bugged me about the G500s was how rough it is to mouse with on a hard surface. I bought the Logitech G440 hard mouse mat along with this and I found the G500s very rough and scratchy on it, so much so that I decided to buy some new feet/glides for it from another manufacturer. That solved the problem but I would've expected the logitech feet to be a lot better quality than they were. My old, much cheaper, Sharkoon fireglide mouse was far smoother than the G500s on the same surface.

The second problem I found, which has become the most annoying problem, is the mouse wheel, which has a number of defects as far as gaming is concerned. Scrolling with it is too free and there is very little definition between clicks, which makes it useless for changing weapons in an FPS for example. Then the middle mouse button is too rigid and it requires a lot more pressure to press than on any other mouse I've ever used. The combination of the loose wheel and the rigid MMB means that if you're using it in-game you're very likely to move the wheel and change weapons accidentally. For me I have always used the middle mouse button for secondary weapon which to me is the handiest for quickly getting out a handgun in a firefight but since I got the G500s it's anything but handy. Numerous times now I've been left cursing this mouse for giving me something other than what I wanted. I've tried changing the secondary weapon button to one on the side of the mouse but it seems like the twitch to press the MMB is hard wired into my brain at this stage, so I couldn't manage it.

The straw that has finally broken the camel's back for me with this mouse are the software problems that have continually cropped up. Quite a few times now over this past month, at least ten I'd say, the mouse has "forgotton" its presets for particular games. Usually restarting the game has solved the problem but once or twice I had to restart the computer to get it working properly again. It may not sound like much but it's quite a pain when in the middle of a multiplayer game your mouse suddenly stops doing what it's supposed to do, as you really don't want to restart the game to get the functions back again. Another recent problem that occurred was that the cursor started going completely haywire when I was playing Battlefield 3 and again the only solution was to exit and restart the game. This was a once-off but in my three years using my cheaper Sharkoon mouse I never got a similar problem like this and had far fewer software problems in general.

Things I like about the G500s are the ergonomics and the functionality of it. It has plenty of buttons and it has rather a convenient way of allowing you to program them to each individual game - if only they worked properly all the time. I also like the shape and feel of the mouse. Initially, I didn't like the "rough" surface but after a while I got comfortable with it and I actually prefer it now to my old rubberised Sharkoon. I also like the thumb rest design of the mouse which keeps your thumb off the mouse mat and reduces friction and stickiness.

Overall I have to say, despite its few redeeming features, for a Logitech product the G500s seems to be way below their usual high standards and for the price I would've expected much better quality regardless of the manufacturer. They seem to have set their sights high with good ergonomics and functionality but basic design problems let it down badly in my book.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]