3.0 out of 5 stars Appalling value, 11 May 2012
This review is from: Stewart Lee! The 'If You Prefer a Milder Comedian Please Ask For One' EP (Paperback)
I recently ordered Mr Lee's 'How I Escaped My Certain Fate', and was delighted when I received 378 pages of words (not including index, acknowledgements and other wasted paper) for the purchase price of 4.76. That equates to 1.259 pence per page of words.

Having just bought this book, I'm disgusted to discover that for almost the same sum (4.31) I have received only 103 pages of words; an exorbitant 4.184 pence per page of words.

I, for one, would like to know how Mr Lee can justify a 232% increase for what are essentially the same words, written in a slightly different order?

Is this book 232% better than Mr Lee's previous work? I have no idea, I have read neither book. But I fail to comprehend how it could be. It is a mystery, Mr Lee, for which I would like an explanation.

Obviously, the sale price of a book is fixed by the author, and Mr Lee is asking us to believe his skill in converting his spoken words into written words has improved by 232% in little over a year, and therefore he need only write 27% as many.

For 4.31 I could buy a pint of beer and a packet of pork scratchings at my local pub, which would keep me well entertained for over 20 minutes. Mr Lee clearly believes that collating a year's creative output, printing it into a convenient book format, packaging it and having it expediently delivered to my front door is somehow worth the same amount.

I can only assume Mr Lee's new status as a much-lauded television celebrity has gone to his head, and we must now fund his extravagant lifestyle in whatever trendy London suburb he now resides.

Before ordering this book, I would recommend you purchase the author's entire back catalogue of work and judge for yourself if you think this book could be worth 4.184 pence per page, or else, like me, you might end up wasting 4.31 of your hard-earned money.

You have been warned.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Jun 2012 02:46:37 BDT
Hmm... you don't fool me.

Posted on 15 Jun 2012 08:43:12 BDT
That Ron Bacardi has let himself go.

Posted on 21 Jun 2012 05:14:55 BDT
Chalkus says:
Mr Lee's reviews are obviously as good as is books!

Posted on 23 Jun 2012 21:51:15 BDT
John Connor says:
This reviewer appears to want the moon on a stick.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jun 2012 23:51:03 BDT
He didn't think it through, did he?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jul 2012 21:24:41 BDT
Aaron Thomas says:
Er, I think you need to give your irony and nuance detector an overhaul.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Jul 2012 21:25:16 BDT
Aaron Thomas says:
Ditto for you, Mr Literal No. Two.

Posted on 14 Aug 2012 03:51:39 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Aug 2012 03:53:08 BDT
Matt says:
You don't fool me either Ron. Why buy the book if you're not a fan; and if you're a fan, it would be somewhat perverse not to appreciate the insightful annotations.

You are clearly the kind of individual who reveals in leaving atrophied criticism across Amazon. I encourage other buyers to read Ron's other munificent reviews before taking seriously this one!

Posted on 1 May 2014 14:10:57 BDT
I love this review. Thanks. You might argue that you're paying for quality, not quantity. But I respect the delight a person might have in receiving 378 pages of book and the disgust from next receiving 103 pages, whilst having read neither books. On my next purchase of a book, if i find it to be of delightful page quantity, I won't read the the thing for fear of the content being dissapointing.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›