4.0 out of 5 stars if you can't find the flags and saracens, 22 May 2012
This review is from: [ASSASSIN'S CREED: PRIMA OFFICIAL GAME GUIDE] By Prima Games(Paperback) on 13-Nov-2007
I finished my first couple of attempts at Assassin's Creed on our new PS3 and knew I loved the game.

The one problem I had with the game was the sub-games Saracens and the especially the large number of various flags. Even where their are only a small number of flags finding them all was impossible - in Altair's home town there are only 20 flags to collect - I managed 19 and then spent over an hour searching ever nook and cranny for the last one without any success, that is until I used this book.

The book, however, is more than a guide to where the flags are; it is also a great guide to the beginning of what has become a best selling series of games. For beginners like me it gives a lot of background detail which I missed when I played the game through the first couple of times. Altair's Master Al Mualim's explanations of why certain enemies must be eliminated are included, I admit that I watched these scenes closely the first and second time, but in reading the book I realised that I had still missed quite a few points.

There are mini-biographies of the games main characters; guides to how to do the moves (I recommend practicing them in the arena in Masyal, Altair's home town, just to make sure you have understood them properly - I had problems with a couple of moves, but then again I'm only a casual player).

The book is a guide in the truest sense of the word. My sister had Tomb Raider game guides for the original Play Station Tomb Raider games and they told you where to go and exactly what to do - more of a step-by-step walkthrough. I much prefer these guides that let you play the game as you want to and you can dip in and out of - guides like this.

If I have a problem with the guide it comes with the layout. Finding the place you are looking for is not easy, on occasion I had to spend more than an hour flicking backwards and forwards through the chapters to try and find the information I needed. This is annoying but not what I would call a major fault, and could have been solved with just a little time and consideration - I would suggest that, next time, they have someone (who hasn't already played the game before, perhaps a casual player) play the game by following the guide to see how well or how badly it is laid out - and an index would have helped too.

The book uses colour screen captures to illustrate each activity and vital position; and there is a wall poster sized pullout at the back of all the area maps showing the location of all the collectables (including those flags).

One other thing this book did do for me was to reassure me that I had reached the end and not missed anything. I had found the ending of Assassin's Creed a little sudden, in fact I was sure I was missing something, this book has shown me that I wasn't missing anything.

There is also confirmation that the collections on PS3 do not lead to any "extras" which happens on the Xbox version.

You don't need this book to finish the game, but if you want all the flags and the Saracens then you might find this a great help, I know I did, but I would recommend that you play the game through without it at first as using it may reduce your fun, especially because of the necessary spoilers that it contains.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]