2.0 out of 5 stars Beware! Plastic masquerading as leather..., 16 Dec 2010
This review is from: Duragadget Genuine Leather Case & Cover With Stand for Kindle 3 - Red (Accessory)
Compared to the "genuine" Kindle cases, this one is a fraction of the cost, hence its consumer appeal, I suppose. Like most consumers, I chose this on a like-for-like basis with Value being the deciding factor.

However, I soon realised that this was not a like-for-like comparison.

On arrival of my purchase, I opened the packaging to the rather unsavoury smell of cheap plastic. (Let's face it, even the poorer quality leathers have their own distinctive and pleasingly earthy 'aroma'.) On further scrutiny my suspicions were even more heightened: the outer cover - which is supposed to be the "genuine" part - has none of the tactile characteristics of leather and fails all of the traditional tests.

Like another reviewer, I'm of the opinion that this product is wholly synthetic.

When I wrote to the manufacturer to point out my suspicions, I received a curt reply dismissing my observations and insisting on its 'genuine-ness'. Frankly, this only made matters worse. What could have been a three-star "OK-ish" rating has now degraded my opinion even more.

I want to give this as a Christmas present to my daughter; if I had no time constraints, I would definitely return it. Whilst it may be pleasing enough for a plastic product, when it wears out (as I'm sure it WILL, and pretty quickly too) I'll opt to buy Amazon's genuine leather version at the higher price.

But right now, I feel rather conned.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Jan 2011 13:19:57 GMT
T4bsF says:
If this product was plastic - wouldn't the Trading Standards people have something to say?

Posted on 12 Jan 2011 22:00:45 GMT
jonrich says:
This case is advertised as genuine leather so if it's plastic then report it to the proper authorities, thanks for the warning I was about to purchase one as I think the Amazon case is a rip off but I suppose you get what you pay for, still I think after getting 150 off their customers for the Kindle to then charge them 50.99p for a protective case with a micro' torch bulb is taking the Michael.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2011 13:56:45 GMT
Kingle is Amazons top selling product as reported this morning on T V BY THIER managering director (UK) RIPPNG THE PUBLIC OFF selling the covers at 50+

Posted on 28 Jan 2011 20:07:05 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 28 Jan 2011 20:08:08 GMT]

Posted on 28 Feb 2011 10:16:56 GMT
royat says:
Is this genuine leather or plastic. I would have thought that it could not be sold as leather if it was really plastic

Posted on 8 Mar 2011 12:48:48 GMT
Jan Baynham says:
Surely the product must be leather otherwise how can they advertise it as " genuine leather ". However leather like most materials will have differing quality and I guess you get what you pay for. This item is also supposedly being sold at a discounted price.

Posted on 10 Mar 2011 11:19:59 GMT
Hm MacDonald says:
I would much rather use plastic than kill an innocent animal in order to be 'posh'

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2011 21:04:47 GMT
jonrich says:
With a name like MacDonald I wouldn't have thought you had a problem killing the odd chicken or cow lol.. each to their own!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jun 2011 17:42:13 BDT
sue says:
pu leather is a thin piece of leather with poly eurothane painted over it to strengthen it it is just a cheap version if you want real genuine leather well try the Tuff products they are reasonably priced for the quality

Posted on 20 Jul 2011 16:15:37 BDT
J. Dyson says:
S. Robson seems to have a problem with the Red Leather case, my case was black, is excellent and I believe it to be leather, I have just bought a second cover for my wife's Kindle I am so pleased with it.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›