ARRAY(0xac2be4e0)

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding performance of Mahler's 2nd symphony from May 18, 2011, 6 Sep 2011
This review is from: Mahler Symphony No.2 [Blu-ray] [2011] (Blu-ray)
Although this Blu-ray has not been released yet, I know it will be outstanding. Why? Well, first of all, I was at the exact concert in Leipzig where this Blu-ray was recorded, on May 18, 2011. Mahler's 2nd symphony was performed twice during this year's Mahler Festival in Leipzig, but this performance is from the 2nd night (May 18). You can tell by the audience shots because it was fuller on the 2nd night.

The performance was totally magnificient. Unbelievable. It was also shown on Arte TV later in May 2011, and I have parts of it recorded on my HDD recorder, and it is truly amazing (also the sound and the camera work). I am sure the Blu-ray (1080p) will be at least as good compared to what they showed on HD TV (720p).

There will also be a release from the same festival for Mahler's 8th symphony, and that performance is also very good (it was also shown on Arte TV). Unfortunately, I am not such a big fan of his 8th symphony, I like all others better.

I can't wait to receive this Blu-ray of Mahler 2 to give it a full and proper review.

Update Oct. 4, 2011:

I received the Blu-ray disc today, and the quality is totally amazing (picture and sound). I already mentioned how much I like this performance, it is really worth seeing. I also have Abbado's Mahler 2 from Lucerne on Blu-ray (the revised version with the improved sonics), and that one is also very very good. Can't really say which one is the better performance, since both are really great. Technically, the Chailly disc is superior (picture quality, dynamics in sound).

I am not a big fan of the cardboard packaging used on this release. Maybe it is more environmentally friendly, but I prefer my Blu-ray discs in the blue Amaray cases, since all my other Blu-ray's are like that.

[Add comment]