4.0 out of 5 stars MOTEL HEAVEN, 4 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Motel Hell [Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD] (Blu-ray)
I was a teenager when this first came out and was featured in many a Starbust and Fangoria magazine. It was even parodied in MAD magazine (assuming anyone in UK has heard of that). It's a film I've wanted to see ever since but also with some trepidation.

Liking my films to have a reasonably good sheen on them and clear soundtrack one of the reasons I held out so long was the fear that this would be lost in the 80's haze of vhs quality film making. Also a lots of 70's and 80's films end up being so dated that I have them on my shelf purely for numbers and would be the first to go in any future blu ray culls.

I was waiting and waiting for MOTEL HELL to turn up on the horror channel so I could see it FOC. The reviews on Amazon. although detailed, didn't help. After all you have to like this type of movie in the first place and you are unlikely to be swayed if you don't.

However, i have it now and on the whole I enjoyed it.

The anti heroes are introduced in the first act and it's refresheing to see a story from their point of view. The acting is impressive for the most part (Nina Axelrod, the blonde actress excluded), The picture is impressive as is the soundtrack which gives the early part of the story much gravitas. It started of quite creepy and could possibly have trhown in a few more scares.

It was a smorgasboard (sorry) of familiar faces although Paul Link (from Chips fame) maybe became a bit too caricature.

Black comedies are rarely laugh out loud but I found I did snigger a bit. The only downside was I did find myself constantly asking myself "did I really like this film" rather than just enjoy it. I may have to watch it again soon. Second times usually are better.

The chainsaw standoff was a little disappointing however but that could have probably been improved with some added sound effects and dramatic music to build the tension.

The extra features are excellent, informative and funny.

At the end of the day, I'm glad I have this in the collection

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]