5.0 out of 5 stars Retrieving some space, 13 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Toshiba DVR20 Digital DVD Recorder and VCR with Freeview (Electronics)
I had pondered for some time on buying a VHS to DVD recorder so that I could gain back some space consumed by a myriad of old VHS tapes.
Often one can only go by the information written on a web page which is not always enough. Being a woman that fortunately does understand a reasonable level of technical things I do like to know what I'm getting for my money.

The Toshiba DVR20 does exactly what I wanted but it also can do it in reverse - it is able not only to copy VHS to DVD it can also copy DVD to VHS and the operation for either is extremely simple. It comes with many connection possibilities including full HDMI suppport up to 1080P, a good Freeview tuner plus several other useful features. My only small criticism is that if a VHS or DVD is already in it when you turn it on, it will load the menu for that which can be a little annoying if you only wish to watch TV via the machine - pressing stop does return you to the TV.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Apr 2012 16:37:38 BDT
J. Haydock says:
PLEASE HELP. I read your review which made me purchase the toshiba dvr20, but i can't figure out how to record vhs to dvd!? I've hooked mine up with HDMI cables for better picture. Is that where am going wrong??

Please help and tell me how you do it.

Cheers

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Apr 2012 14:09:49 BDT
Hi

I must be honest, I had to go through it again as it's been a while since I used the VCR to DVD Record function. OK - insert the VCR you wish to record (remove the tab just in case!), insert a blank DVD (Read the handbook for what type does does what etc). In DVD mode press the REC MODE button to set the length of time the disc will have. Press 'Setup'. General Settings - Dubbing Mode then tick the VCR to DVD box. Exit Setup, press the VCR mode and then press play and then pause where you want to start recording from. Press DVD followed by Dubbing and the recording from VCR to DVD will commence.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Apr 2012 19:28:32 BDT
M Bardi says:
Hi there, thanks for your review of this product, i am planning to buy it as well, i just want to make sure what video format does it support ? meaning, does it support PAL or NTSC or both ? please reply

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Apr 2012 09:40:03 BDT
Hi

In the manual it states:- 'This unit uses the PAL system. However it is also Possible to play back DVD's using other colour systems such as NTSC'.

I've had a quick look in the on screen Settings and there are various settings that relate to media/input and such that are mainly such choices as 'Auto/PAL/Secam'.

I hope the above helps

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Apr 2012 20:46:04 BDT
M Bardi says:
Hi, thanks for the quick reply, However, it is not clear to me if it does play NTSC or not ? the choices you mentioned did not include it, i was hoping you had an NTSC tape and try it, but i guess you don't.
I am talking about the VCR here not the DVD player, im assuming the DVD is multiregion as well ??
thanks again

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Apr 2012 09:44:01 BDT
Hi

The manual really doesn't say anything about VCR Tapes with regard to compatibility, It only gives a comprehensive list of Disc media compatibilities. As I wrote before, the only mention of NTSC playback I've found thus far is that it apparently can play NTSC DVDs. I don't possess any NTSC media so I have no way of testing it.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2013 12:58:39 GMT
Burger93 says:
Hi What DVD discs did you use ? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Feb 2013 16:04:21 GMT
Hi

I've not used the machine in a while but I can tell you that DVD- and DVD+ have different recording characteristics in as much as how you can do such things as give the disc a title and how it ends up laid out - best research that as can't recall. If a VCR to Disc is important, once it's copied to Disc, I often edit the recording giving it maybe a proper start screen/tracks etc on my Computer.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2013 19:43:00 GMT
Della Swain says:
Hi there,

did you copy precroded ie bought videos or just ones that you had recorded yourself?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2013 08:46:02 GMT
Hi

The VCR's I copied where mainly ones I had recorded myself but I can't see any reason that would prevent anyone copying a bought VCR as I don't think VCR's have the protected encryption one gets on a DVD...as far as I know.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›