5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Geek, 15 Feb. 2014
This review is from: ASUS N550LF-CK108H 15.6-inch Laptop (Intel Core i7-4500U 1.8GHz Processor, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray, NVIDIA Geforce GT745, Windows 8) (Personal Computers)
In the need of a new laptop within a specific budget, I searched between Asus and Toshiba which options I had. Eventually I've found this laptop with a graphics card that, combined with the i7 4500, would run heavy games (Moded Skyrim, Tomb Raider, Crysis engine, etc) and any 2D image editing software such as Photoshop, InDesign... And that would allow me to keep me going for the next two years. Importantly also, it would have to have an excellent sound as well.

In the end I'm very happy with my purchase; sound has a great quality, really impressed by it, touch screen is a plus, although I don't have the need to use it maybe because I'm used to the old windows. I'm aware there aren't many people happy with the windows 8 as it doesn't come with the Start bar anymore, however I didn't find that hard to get used to it, whilst before we had a Start bar now we have what we could call a Start page, the load time is instant now, we don't need to wait for the Start bar to load all the programs anymore. What I did to help me is to create Tile programs (the widows 8 icons on the Start page) and by clicking on it I have access to everything I need. I would say it’s a question of thinking which programs/applications we use more often and placing their Tiles on the Start page. After getting used to it, you’ll realize that now the load time and looking up programs is much quicker than with the old Start bar, which in turn makes you do your tasks quicker. Even for someone that prefers the Start bar there are third party developers in the market that offer you that option after a download.

The only down side of this laptop would be the drive disc that comes only with 5400rpm, a bit slow for a laptop with such a good processor and graphics. But, you can always upgrade for an SSD Hybrid 7400rpm for less than £70. I don't feel the need to do it at the moment though, the laptop is fast enough when starting, shutting down and doing it's tasks, maybe in six to twelve months I'll upgrade it to a faster hard drive, maybe an SSD.

I won’t mention the battery life as this is a laptop to stay on the desk, not to travel with me, it’s big, a bit on the heavy side, and you will loose the sound quality by having the sub-woofer unplugged. You will have better options if you prefer a laptop to carry around with you.

In conclusion,

Great for:
. Games
. Image Editing
. Video Editing
. Looks great, minimalistic, steel finish feels amazing
. Don't expect it to get really hot while you are playing, as the steel casing helps prevent the laptop from overheating, keeping your fingers/hands at a natural temperature.
. The best sound from a laptop I've ever had.
. Keyboard has that squishy feeling that we all like.

Less great for:

. Drive disk (compared to the advanced CPU, graphics and sound, the disk is slow (only 5400rpm), easily replaced though, also helps to keep the market price of this laptop on the lower side - a positive side).
. Windows 8 (Start bar can be solved).

[Add comment]