5.0 out of 5 stars I haven't read it yet, either, 19 May 2013
This review is from: Soldier Box: Why I Won't Return to the War on Terror (Paperback)
Now, the thing is, the convention in book reviewing is that the reviewer actually reads the thing before reviewing it. I've met Joe, was impressed by his courage and honesty, and I'm very much looking forward to reading this. Being a professional in the world of books myself, there are other things which I have to read first, and so it won't be for a few weeks yet. But why don't I just pop up a five star review anyway? Without reading it? Does that seem fair, or right? I'd say no.
The thing is, the people who are posting these disgusting 'one star' reviews have not read the book, almost by definition. Leaving aside the fact that they come across as a bunch of slow readers, and hardly likely to get through it in four days, (which is how long the book has been on sale), the fact is that these people are clearly not going to buy Joe's book, are they? Unless they are so dumb that they want to buy and hate all at the same time, thus causing Joe to 'cry all the way to the bank.'
I'm very much afraid that many of the people posting here have lost sight of the fact that their job is to defend people with whom they disagree, most especially the 'liberals' who clearly will enjoy this book very much.
So, I look forward to Amazon taking down all the 'reviews' by people who clearly haven't read the book.
Including this one, obviously. Then we can all go away, read Joe's book, and come back and say what we honestly think.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 May 2013 22:49:46 BDT
Thank you Ian for your humorous non-review.
Reading through all the testosterone laden, bigoted and hateful one star posts I fear there's little hope for slow readers...

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2013 12:30:31 BDT
wendy jones says:
Thank you, Ian. I like the sanity of your comments.

Posted on 22 May 2013 13:30:38 BDT
Barbarossa says:
I agree with part of your comments, of course liberals will '5 star' any such book that 'sticks it to the man' regardless of the motives behind the author and the fact that he has a highly dubious claim to have seen and suffered from a war he knows so little about.

What i do find condecending is that you automatically assume that anyone giving him 1 star is a slow reader? i cast a look over my desk and see Tacitus, Vegetius and Caesar looking back at me (research for my own book) and certainly do not regard myself as slow in any way, shape or form. The reason for the opposition of this author is because he is porbably one of the LEAST able to comment on the horror of warfare and PTSD and yet he has become the spokesman for both! You might as well have the worlds leading expert on Antartica held aloft in praise despite in reality never going further south than Buenos Aires??? joe is literally a man who cannot swim commenting on deep sea diving techniques. But alas...as i mentioned before the liberals will praise this man as highly as those who fought in Afghanistan and actually saw some the country will despise him for his much undeserved and fraudulent claims.

I give him credit where credit is due. To be making his money off of the back of anti-war sentiment must be proving lucrative despite the parasitic nature of it. I do wager however he will not attend PTSD counselling with military veterans as he might ultimately be pushing the lie too far. As an experienced ex-infantryman myself with 400+ Iraq days and 1200+ Afghanistan days under my belt i would cringe and feel embarressed for joe as he told us of the 'horrors of war' from his time in what is regarded as the safest camp in southern afghanistan (KAF is the size of a small city and is much safer than most cities in the UK).
Of course these people will 1 star him. they sat in miserable little patrol bases, fighting for their lives daily while half of the country cheers for a man who would not have even come close to a PB if he had shut up and carried on moving luggage around a huge and extremely safe airbase.

But you Ian, are a supporter of joe regardless. Despite the 'middle of the road' review you still gave him 5 stars and thus have driven your little dagger into the ribs of every man who has fought for Britain. But still...thats what we the morons and slow readers fight for...just like the Greeks of the old polis who took their place amongst the phalanx...we fight so you have the freedom of choice. Personally i have seen how the Taliban rule...i have seen a hell of a lot more from this country than joe ever did. Seeing 13 and 14 year old girls in prison for talking back to elders and refusing to marry 40-something year old men?!? well joes blind and braying supporters will be most displeased to know that the 'evil invaders' had some of these girls released and managed to get them to another province to work in an orphanage far far away from the family that imprisoned her and the guards that were raping her nightly........I really wish i had taken a photo of that girls face when she was released into our care. joe never saw anything like it...nor have any of his supporters have ever seen such things! they are too busy braying to the world and knowing what is best for it without actually going there. That is but 1 tale in the hundreds i have seen but then what do i know? i was not a forklift driver in a camp surrounded by americans/ice cream/fast food and air conditioning.

Thank you for your time and click 'not helpful' now

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2013 12:39:20 BDT
Ian Marchant says:
I do have some idea of what goes on in the Armed forces. I'm not prepared to say where I met Joe, but it wasn't in any kind of liberal setting. And I work with Help for Heroes; I did voluntary work at Tidworth House earlier this year, and I'm hoping to be asked back in the future. A large part of my own new book is set in Afghanistan, and I've spent a lot of time talking to old Afghan hands about what went wrong; and I don't think that the 'poor bloody infantry' are to blame in any regard. Politicians, yes, from Russia, US the Talib, Pakistan and UK. My objection is to your ill-thought out campaign of getting people to write one star reviews without having read the book. I am liberal enough to think that is wrong, and not what you were in Afghanistan or Iraq fighting for. If you could let this be, the book would not get half so much attention.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jun 2013 14:18:25 BDT