5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant tablet and iPad alternative, 31 July 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Surface with Windows RT 32GB Tablet ONLY
I've never been into apple products but I've always loved gadgets, which has always restricted my purchases. When everybody ran around with iPods, I always attempted to find an alternative. I despise itunes and I find ipods/iphones/ipads to be simply dull to use, along with android which looks the same. I finally found my perfect mp3 player with the zune HD (which I still own, now over 5 years old working perfectly) and finally my perfect smart phone, with my Nokia Lumia 800.

I was delighted to see that Microsoft decided to go with this interface for their next OS and as I already own I perfectly good Windows 7 laptop, I decided to get a surface instead. Baffleingly, the RT model has been critised for a lack of versitility when its level of function at least matches and in some cases exceeds that of the iPad. Admittedly, the marketplace is slightly barebones (AT THE MOMENT) but it still has most of the essential apps you would need on a tablet. I already have a laptop, so I feel no need to be able to install any program on my surface (something the surface Pro can do) and I use it just to mess around with.

Windows 8 is a joy to use. The home screen is gorgeous, with live tiles constantly updating and apps designed to fit in with the asthetics of the rest of the OS (something neither apple or android can claim). Internet Explorer works suprisingly well, is quick and responsive (unlike some of the desktop versions) and the other built in apps are just as good, such as Skype and full versions of Microsoft Office 2013 (word, PP, Excel and onenote). The ability to sync with twitter and facebook is also extremely useful. Windows 8 has been critised for having a steep learning curve, but I dismiss this as a critism. Once the basics are learnt (which are simply swipe from the edges of the screen to bring up various menus) the OS is quick, easy and fun to navigate.

The hardware itself is lovely to look at and hold. The brushed aluminum back gives it a high quility finish with the incredibly useful built-in kickstand. The USB port is great to have as well as HDMI output. The cameras do leave a little to be desired. The front-facing camera is absolutely fine for video-calling (which is pretty much all you need it for) but I doubt anyone will be taking many pictures with the back-facing camera which is unusually poor (but then again most people have seperate cameras for good photo quality).

Overall I would recommend this product immediately to anyone already familiar to this new wave of Microsoft OS (zune HD or Windows Phone) as it will instantly feel famililar. To anyone who is sick of apple or android and needs an alternative. And finally to anyone who is just looking for a tablet and it easily stands shoulder to shoulder with any (in the same price-bracket) on the market.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Sep 2013 23:11:30 BDT
Lee Doherty says:
I enjoyed this review. I too, own the Zune HD (had mine for 4 years), I have a Nokia Lumia 800. I plan on getting the Surface 2 around Christmas time along with a new Nokia Lumia 1020. I hope you really enjoy the product. I have been following Surface since it was first announced. Much like I did with the first windows phone 7.

Anyway (I'm getting off track). Good review!!

Posted on 8 Oct 2013 18:30:11 BDT
I think your view gets to the very point of the Surface - if you love Microsoft, buy everything they sell and live your life in Microsoft's ecosystem (Office, IE etc.), you should buy the Surface. It will be the perfect tablet for you. If you use Google services a lot (Gmail, Drive, etc.), or have all your music in iTunes, or own a Mac computer, then the Surface is probably not for you.

Posted on 13 Oct 2013 16:19:59 BDT
I have nothing against the surface rt, I think its a good tablet that works well for many people but how dare you call android dull. I hate apple and their dumb grid of icons and their zero customisation. Windows 8 is my faveroute version of windows so far and I think the people who say its stupid just haven't used it enough to apriciate its new features but I am willing to defend android to the death. You clearly haven't ever used an android device. The customisation is endless. You can literally make it look however you want. If any part of it looks or feels dull to you you can change it. Also the actual device is customisable (in a way). See, there is such a huge viriaty of android devices you can pick whichever (and there will be one) is best for you. Like I said I personally have nothing against the surface rt but haven't you ever wandered why it doesn't sell and why everyone hates it so much? Android is the worlds most popular os right now. Don't you think there's a reason for that? So next time you think about calling android dull, go and try out customising it first. Then you'll see that is the rt that's the dull one.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Oct 2013 04:22:28 BDT
JD says:
@Ethan J Flemming

Get over yourself.

Android is flawed, insecure and highly inefficient. Not to mention it's developed by a despicable company that has no respect for end user privacy and freedoms (Google).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›