3.0 out of 5 stars The Dark Knight Rises but then starts to dip the more you think about it..., 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Dark Knight Rises (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2012] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
The Dark Knight Rises was a film that I anticipated ever since the end credits of The Dark Knight.

When the time came that The Dark Knight Rises was to be released, I was ecstatic to say the least. I was first in line on the day of it's release at the IMAX and I was not disappointed. I was thrilled at the spectacle and swept away by it's action and scope.

On my return from the cinema I was reading reviews and could not fathom the bad reception the film was getting. I decided it merited a second viewing and to my surprise, I wasn't as thrilled as I was the first time. I was able to take it in on a second viewing and actually look at it from another point of view, rather than the excited man child I became on my first viewing.

You have to admire the film's scope, vision and the massive technical undertaking but despite this, The Dark Knight Rises but then starts to dip the more you think about it...

I started to notice all the major flaws in the film and the real lack of substance that I was trying so hard not to see.

The main problem I have with the movie is the extreme pacing issues. The film's opening hour or so is a very well thought out, slow build up. However when the pace is cranked up a gear, I couldn't help feeling that the film was in too much of a rush to squeeze everything in. It doesn't settle on any plot point to let the film breathe before rushing ahead of itself to get to the next spectacle. On a first viewing you can't help but get swept up by it but on return it starts to crack. For instance, the stadium scene was a major focus point of the movie but it was over before I felt it had even started. It leaves you breathless but not in a good way. Important struggles, major plot points and especially deaths were too quick, on the verge of being comical, and character arches were crowbarred in to the point where characters were being referenced and I had no idea what their significance to the film were.

The plot holes and logical flaws are endless in the movie, granted it is a comic book movie so it doesn't have to be totally realistic but some of the issues I have are just common sense. For instance - spoiler alert - sending an entire police force underground is a severe lack of forethought and quite frankly a convenient plot device for the writer to get to the conclusion that he wanted. This then ties in with some editing choices that I started to notice on repeat viewings. There had obviously been some structural issues with the plot which had to be solved in the edit, therefore some scenes feel completely out of place in terms of pacing and in terms actual story telling.

To it's credit though there are good points to the movie to balance this wildly spiraling out of control movie.

Batman's character arch from the 1st Batman movie to now is an interesting one, the battered and out of touch hero who has been deserted by his people is so interesting to watch but if they had just spent a little more time developing that idea it would have given the film more depth and interest.

Bane's a great villain, he's menacing and his sheer power and dedication is to be admired and his character is very well thought out. Tom Hardy brings a lot to the table as well and pulls off a good performance despite nearly his entire face being hidden. I enjoyed his part in the movie but in the end it felt a little anti-climactic if I'm honest.

Anne Hathaway is smart and sexy as Catwoman which surprised me. She brings a certain quality to the role and pulls it off better than you would think.

The Blu Ray is good. The IMAX sequences and surround sound are out of this world, really one to show off your home cinema set up.

Overall The Dark Knight Rises is a fairly spectacular piece of filmmaking, which inevitably would not please die hard fans and doesn't quite live up to the hype. It was going to be a hard task to top the previous Dark Knight as the bar was set so high.

I wanted to love this film so much but every time I watch it I can't help but feel a little let down.

It would have been 3 1/2 out of 5 but as Amazon can't rate 1/2 stars it has to be 3/5 disappointingly.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Feb 2014 20:08:42 GMT
MicHaeL H. says:
I think what's described in this review was the case for many fans of the first two movies, and sadly too many still praise the third too much just because they don't realize their ignorance.

In all honestly, the movie never grabbed me the first time I saw it. I was instantly feeling it was just overhyped, unlike "TDK" which deserved the hype. If this movie didn't have the "Begins" and especially "TDK" preceding it, it wouldn't have been so hyped as it was, and overpraised as it is. I'm not saying it's absolutely crap, but it just didn't impress me in terms of story, events, and film-making in general. Some things were absolutely silly and cheesy, and just forced to be "realistic" or "gritty" which they pretty much pulled off with the first two movies. But then that went straight out the window with the introduction of things like "the Bat" (or whatever the aircraft was called) and characters like Catwoman and even Bane were utterly unimpressive. The best movie-rendition of Catwoman was Michelle Pfeiffer's by far, and not this dull literal cat-burglar with Mickey Mouse ears and a Robin-mask. Bane was a good try, but he wasn't nearly as intimidating as Ledger's Joker. They were just trying way too hard to come up with something as unique as Ledger's Joker. I mean, what was supposed to impress me? His "stature"? As average-sized or perhaps even skinny as I am, size or muscle doesn't intimidate me. His weird voice? It was laughable and it sounded like I had my head in a barrell whenever he spoke because of heavy EQ on him (just like Bale's overly bass-y voice, sans the "hollow" effect), and the theater I was in is of top-quality.

Anyway, I could go on and on about the stupid decision they made for this movie. Again, not that it's bad, it's still solid entertainment, but not the worthiest follow-up as it doesn't really "rise" above its two predecessors in pretty much any positive aspect.
For the rest I agree to this review in terms of how people wanted to praise it so much instantly.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (966 customer reviews)

£26.99 £6.59