3.0 out of 5 stars Nikon S9300, 20 April 2012
This review is from: Nikon Coolpix S9300 Digital Camera - Black (16MP, 18x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
Why three stars you might wonder, well, this camera does take fantastic pictures & the quick video record function works a treat, but the auto-focus leaves something (a lot) to be desired!

It has trouble focusing both in camera & video mode, and can hunt (not quickly) to find what should be a simple focusing task. In bright sunshine or indoors, it really can struggle. I am disappointed with this as I was expecting quite a bit more from a Nikon. Everything else like lens stabilisation etc works like a dream

I have quite a few cameras from D-SLR's to an old basic point & shoot (P&S) which the S9300 was to replace. As I said before, this camera does take fab photo's (when it focuses) & being that its an full auto camera I can for once stop thinking about settings for exposure & shutter settings etc. It is a shame as the camera has some neat photo functions & effects.

I can't trust this camera enough yet & I'm seriously considering sending it back. It's 50 / 50 at the moment. A few more days & I'll make my decision.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Apr 2012 10:34:44 BDT
P. Gilligan says:
Thanks for the review, confirming my fears. Please keep us all posted. I'm really on the fence at the moment between this camera and the Panasonic Lumix TZ30 (TZ31).

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Apr 2012 15:26:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Apr 2012 15:27:02 BDT
J. Harrison says:
I sent the camera back this morning.

I tried using the HD video function a few more times in different situations to see if it just struggled focusing in some & not in others. One of the challenges I hit it with was filming my 9 month old son sitting on the patio in the sun drinking his bottle. At wide angle, it will focus & the quality is very good. Try zooming in even a little & it can focus ok sometimes, if slightly soft.

I tried all the different focusing methods, centre, subject tracking, Auto etc etc with little change in success. The most frustrating thing about this camera is that it will (when trying to focus) pass right by the perfect focus point nearly every time. Sometimes it will almost focus perfectly (soft) & then a couple of seconds later go to one end of its focusing window blurring everything like they do on TV at the end of a news article. That would be a neat function to include (if it did) along with fade in of out, but none of these are available.

I did try out the High speed video modes (from 60 - 120 frames per second) & thought this was an excellent feature. The video quality at 120fps was ok & at a much reduced resolution, but perfectly acceptable in a camera at this price. This HS video function would be ideal for people who give golf lessons etc where they could film their students swing & play it back pointing out what they were doing wrong.

Overall, if this camera were just a camera, I'd give it 3.5 stars as you can re-focus by releasing & half pressing the shutter again until you get a sharp focus. This is still not great as sometimes you will just miss the moment or get a blurry shot. Not ideal.

The camera this was to replace (4 year old FujiFilm FinePix F810) rarely struggles to focus in any light & so, if & when I get my refund, its going to be another Fujifilm, probably the F770EXR.

Overall, I was surprised by the problems this camera gave itself. When focused correctly, I could not fault the image quality (photo or video) but as focusing was hit or miss, it has gone back to AMAZON for a refund.

Posted on 20 Mar 2013 14:17:19 GMT
Joanne m says:
J.Harrison
Thank you so much for your camera update. On the strength of your review I think I won't be buying this camera. It seems madness to have a camera that doesn't seem to be able to focus on the subject you want to capture. Will look at others.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2013 08:07:18 BDT
k8day says:
I lost my Canon recently and my partner loaned mr his camera, yes you have guessed it Nikon S9300.
Only had my iPad with me so checked out the images when I got home and was gutted to find over a third were out of focus! I have NEVER had that before and this included some in bright sunlight - well I was in Texas! Back to a Canon for me I feel...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›