4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, fact and evidence based, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Every Other Day Diet (Kindle Edition)
The book is well written in an easy to follow style. Varady is a scientist and bases her writing on her own research and the research of others. The evidence is compelling and the advice on how to follow the diet is well structured. It's also very clear how a maintenance regime will ensure no subsequent weight gain.

Varady doesn't really acknowledge how people with disordered eating or eating disorders will cope on this diet. I know that my eating is disordered and I can overeat substantially. So I feel I do need to keep an eye on my calorie intake during 'feast' days where she says that everyone eats up to 125% of their recommended calorie intake. I am sure that if I wasn't careful I would eat 150%, although even with that amount of intake I should still lose, albeit at a slower rate.

I've started with every-other-day fasting just this week and I couldn't fit in a strict day-on, day-off approach because of commitments (involving food!) I already had in my diary but I did fast for 3 days out of 7 and I lost 3 lbs in that week. It's early days, but initial results are promising. I was also surprised that the fasting days were not as arduous as I was expecting. Yes I was hungry, but it was easy to accept that and not to be tempted. I've found it better for me to eat my one meal in the evening and I intend to keep pursuing this approach until I am back at my fighting weight!

What I would have liked to have seen more of is some additional detail - certain facts are presented that left me wanting to know more. For example, she states that someone who is at a given weight and who has always weighed that amount has a higher metabolic rate than someone of the same weight but who has been overweight and has dieted. I wanted to know if that was a reversible characteristic or that person would always have a dented metabolic rate.

My overall view of this book is that it clearly sets the case for every-other-day fasting (500 cal limit) and provides enough guidance for it to be easy to follow. It also shows how a maintenance fast day (1000 cal) is a sustainable approach.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Feb 2014 22:08:29 GMT
To answer your question Keys in his starvation study during the war followed up his subjects six months after. ALL had regained the weight that was lost plus more. But after six months their metabolic rates still haven't returned to normal. A researcher on TED talks in the last two weeks tells us that even after seven years we're still doomed to gain all the weight we lost easily. Now, that's depressing thought. The doctor who handles the contestants on The Biggest Loser noted their average metabolic rate after the program was over burned 540 calories less than their current lean mass indicated.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Feb 2014 08:39:49 GMT
Alison says:
Thanks for the additional information Michael.

The good news is that exercising for 45 minutes at least 5 days a week does help mitigate this effect.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (47 customer reviews)

Add to wishlist