ARRAY(0xb055cc0c)

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic of the future, 9 Jun 2010
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
I finished this book this afternoon after trying to drag out the ending as long as possible. I did not want to leave these characters behind; I wanted to continue on their journey with them, make sure they were OK C I miss them already.

I have been hearing about this book and have read lots of positive reviews for the longest time but sometimes I get put off by books that have so much hype around them and end up passing them by. Oh how glad I am that I didn¡t do this with The Help. It is worth every glowing review, every recommendation and every superlative ever written about it.

The book is set in Jackson, Mississippi in 1962 and is narrated by three women in turn. Aibileen and Minny are black maids and Miss Skeeter is a white college graduate who mourns the disappearance of her old maid and wants to do something more with her life than marry a local boy and have her kids raised by maids.

The story takes us with these women as the embark on a dangerous journey to try and change decades of prejudice and pave the way for a better life for the next generations. Through the words of each of these women we learn how rife racism and intolerance was back in the 1960¡äs deep south. There are tales of unbelievable cruelty and humiliation but also tales of tenderness and real love. It was so good to hear a story told primarily from the point of view of the black maids too and refreshing to hear both sides in all its rawness; the distrust and even hatred on both sides. The book also successfully managed to avoid being sensational or over-egging the pudding. Despite the subject matter (which is so important) the book never feels too heavy or preachy: it is as light as one of Minny¡s famous caramel cakes and aswell as riotously funny and tender.

I implore you to read this book C you will fall in love with Aibileen, roar with laughter at Minny and rootfor Miss Skeeter for 450 pages. And I guarantee that Miss Hilly is one of the best bitches you will come across in any book! She is truly awful but so brilliantly drawn and you will root for her to get her just desserts (pun intended).

I feel like I have lost friends now I have finished this book. It is a true gem and I highly, highly recommend.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Aug 2010 15:52:05 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Aug 2010 15:52:21 BDT
rebbs says:
Totally agree !

Posted on 28 Sep 2010 10:40:03 BDT
Suzieuki says:
With such an impassioned review how can I not be urged to read this book, you have enthused me to add it to my list to be purchased and I look forward to the read everyone seems to be raving about. Thank you in expectation.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Sep 2010 11:28:47 BDT
Boof says:
Thank you, Suzieuki, I really hope you enjoy it ☺

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2010 15:02:25 GMT
mrs f says:
yeah lol....i think youve sold it to me also....thanks :-)

Posted on 21 Apr 2011 23:50:55 BDT
Miss Hargin says:
Also totally agree. Just finished this book tonight, loved it. I didn't want it to end, I wanted to find out more, loved the characters, think this is the best book I have ever read so far!

Posted on 5 May 2011 15:46:44 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Nov 2011 04:53:37 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2011 10:25:05 BDT
Hurray!
That's got to be one of the best book reviews I've ever read! I'm going to order it right now!! Thanks!!

Posted on 15 May 2011 20:24:56 BDT
mrs B says:
I couldn't have put it better myself, NO REALLY! A wonderful review for an exceptional book.
Well done you.

Posted on 28 Nov 2011 19:28:17 GMT
Anon Y Mous says:
Brilliant review for a brilliant book! I only came on Amazon to see if anyone thought it was as amazing as I did, happy to see that so many do. I too feel like I've lost friends now I've finished. I could of kept listening to the characters forever. Loved the pun too ;)

Posted on 7 May 2012 10:37:43 BDT
Mr W Stevens says:
I couldnt agree with these comments more, This is a superb book and having watched the film of the book last night and Laughed and almost cried it brought back to me how good the book really was.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (1,941 customer reviews)
 (1,643)

Used & New from: 0.01
Add to wishlist
Reviewer

Boof
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Location: United Kingdom