1.0 out of 5 stars Design flaw - poor casing - please read!, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: HP Pavilion DM1-4027SA - silver (Electronics)
I am not particularly IT-literate, but have been using computers regularly for well over 20 years. I would describe my knowledge of computers as being fairly representative of most users.

I received this little laptop as a Xmas present in 2011. I loved it. It was speedy, lightweight, had excellent battery life and did everything I required of it.

As the year's warranty expired, we received an invitation to renew; the cost was over 130, which I thought to be uneconomic when weighed against the value of the computer and therefore chose not to take up the offer.

Just before Xmas 2012 - just after the warranty expired - one of the hinges sheered through, a lump of plastic broke away and the flimsy plastic surrounding the screen cracked. By New Year's Day, the screen was unusable. I am not even sure that the warranty would have covered this, but - the fact is - that the hinges are ridiculously small and simply not up to the task of carrying the weight of the screen.

A friend had had a similar experience with an HP laptop and had warned me not to walk around with the screen open as this puts undue stress on the hinges. As a result, I have been even more careful with the computer than normal!

My husband took the computer to a nearby shop. He was told that the plastic casing requires replacement - 90 and the screen may be damaged and require replacement too - another 80. These sums are approximate, but effectively means that the computer is beyond economic repair. I am furious about this as everything else is in perfect working order.

I do not expect to treat computers like disposable batteries and replace them every year, but this - in effect - is what I have had to do. I have sent an email to the managing director of HP, more as a means of venting my frustration, rather than in expectation of any solution. I am so disappointed by the build quality that I will not, on principle, buy anything made by HP again.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]