5.0 out of 5 stars Blistering performance and loads of features make this a top notch router, 26 Sept. 2012
This review is from: ASUS 900 Mbps Dual Band Wireless N Router - Black (Personal Computers)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The stock TalkTalk wireless router that I currently use has always been mediocre at best. Its main letdown is its wireless coverage which is very poor to the point where only devices downstairs (where the router is located) can see the wireless network, anything upstairs has no wireless coverage at all.

So with the Asus RT-N66U I had very high hopes that this could give me both the performance and coverage boost I was looking for. Needless to say I wasn't disappointed, this router simply blew away my bog standard TalkTalk router in every department.

The 3 huge antennas are both adjustable and detachable, allowing maximum flexibility to fine tune wireless performance, giving 3 MIMO streams with a theoretical wireless speed of up to 900Mbps. I had no way of accurately measuring the exact throughput speed I was getting, instead I put it through scenarios that my previous router used to struggle with (or simply not do!).

So I positioned my laptop as far away from the Asus RT-N66U as possible, the upstairs bedroom, which was the furthest distance away within the house, plus this introduced obstacles such as walls and ceilings. With my previous router I got no wireless signal whatsoever from this location, so I was immediately encouraged to see a full strength signal from the RT-N66U.

I then started copying large (5Gb+) MKV files to my media server which was on the same wireless network, something my previous router couldn't do due to lack of coverage. Copying speeds were nothing short of phenomenal, 5Gb files were copied in a few minutes as if on a hardwired Ethernet network. In fact I repeated these tests a few times to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and every time the file copies were blistering fast.

I then tried watching a 1080P HD streamed movie wirelessly and was amazed at the smoothness of the playback, and even on fast moving action scenes the movies played back beautifully smooth, on a par with any Cat5e network.

Given that this router is also packed with features such as a VPN server (not just the VPN passthrough that many routers have), 2 USB ports for hosting HD storage or for use as a print server, USB 3G dongle support and support for up to 6 wireless networks, this router provides every feature a home user could ever want.

This is without doubt the fastest wireless router I've ever used, absolutely fantastic performance and, coupled with a superb set of built-in features, makes the Asus RT-N66U a must buy.

[Add comment]