4.0 out of 5 stars short but beautiful, 20 Oct 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince (Wii) (Video Game)
I bought this for my daughter, (16) as a result of the reviews on here and as I use Amazon reviews alot with many things I buy (and think it's an excellent facility) I wanted to contribute my experience.

I watched my daughter play it from start to end and I did have a go at each of the activities myself, though it's not quite my thing. Aimed more at children probably. Like other reviews here, my daughter also completed the main game quite quickly and she wished it was longer. The 4 star rating is my daughters and if the game was longer it would get 5 stars. I agree.

But she loved what there was and even after "completing" the game there are still many other things to do and collect. For those of you who remember SuperMario on N64, you could officially "complete" the game after getting only 70 stars, but there were a total of 120 stars to collect and the last 50 were alot harder than the first 70, so there was huge mileage remaining after seeing the credits. Although my daughter has officially completed the game, she still has lots of tasks to do; potions, quidditch, duels, things to find and badges to earn and she is still enjoying it.

My daughter liked the fact that there were several activities, like duelling, quidditch, hunting/collecting and potion making. Potion making was her favourite and put very simply, it was just great fun (which is surely the point of games). It is a very effective use of the wiimote and very immersive...you have to follow the recipe and shake the bottles, heat the cauldron, pour in just the right amount of the right ingredient and stir it the right amount. Good use of the wiimote and great fun.

I must say how fabulous Hogwarts looks in the game. Part of my enjoyment in a game is the visual element. I was very impressed with the level of visual detail in the game and how good everything looked. The sun streaming at an angle through the beautifully detailed windows was gorgeous.

So yes, a bit on the short side, especially if you like games like the latest Zelda - Twilight Princess, which by comparison is much, much bigger, but what there is, is great fun and looks beautiful.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]