1.0 out of 5 stars Problem with battery, 5 Aug. 2010
This review is from: XMI X-Mini II 2nd Generation Capsule Speaker with 3.5mm Jack Compatible with iPhone/iPad/iPod/Smartphones/Tablets/MP3 Player/Laptop - Black (Electronics)
After buying this and finding that the battery wouldn't charge, I then discover through researching the problem on the web, that many users have experienced exactly the same thing with brand new units. It appears that the manufacturer has also acknowledged the problem and identified that the battery can go 'dry'. However, with no doubt thousands of these units still within the distribution chain, it appears that no recall has been initiated and that these 'suspect' units are instead being sold at a discount. Please note that there is a X-mini II "2nd Generation" speaker available to buy on Amazon, which costs about £6 more than this one. I presume this is exactly the same speaker with a fix for the battery issue.

I have returned the speaker and requested a refund, although I'm not sure I'll be buying an XMI with the money.

UPDATE (27/09/2013). I was rather confused with the comments on my review by others, who insisted on referring to the 2nd generation (2G) version of this speaker, despite my original review being about the 1G version. I see that my review is now associated with the 2G version. Presumably this is because Amazon stopped selling the 1G (or ran out of stock) so they just moved all reviews for the earlier version on to the subsequent version. Extremely bad practice by Amazon as there are clearly now reviews for this 2G version that do not apply, and never did apply. Let me make it clear, my review was for the 1G variant which now appears to no longer be available. I can't vouch for the quality of the 2G as I've never owned it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Aug 2010 18:01:50 BDT
Avid reader says:
thank you so much for the heads up, I had just ordered these but cancelled the order the minute I read your review; I'll be getting the 2nd generation speakers.

Posted on 9 Dec 2010 12:12:59 GMT
Mr. A. Hay says:
I ordered on the 7th of December 2010 from Amazon directly and I received the 2nd generation (marked clearly as such on the packaging), so I would say this review is void now.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2011 16:06:11 BDT
reader says:
840 5 star reviews out of over thousand, and you cancelled on the strength of one that wasn't?!
Tough crowd...

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2011 10:24:56 BDT
Quangy says:
I agree, I have been using the 2nd generation version for months and have had no problems and will continue recommending it to others, never had any bad feedback off any of my friends who have bought one on my recommendation. However I do have a drawers full of other types of so called good small mp3 speakers I have tried over the years and none of these even came close to the sound quality of this little speaker.

Posted on 2 Dec 2011 22:15:55 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Dec 2011 22:17:04 GMT
Fuzzy Felt says:
I think I have just come across one of the faulty ones - bought from Xmas catalogue for a good cause! It will play OK when the USB is plugged in to my laptop, but won't charge anyway I try. So this review has proved very helpful as I try to puzzle what to do now - it is just what I wanted otherwise but now I will return it. Perhaps this provides a clue as to where all those faulty ones have gone.

Posted on 23 Dec 2011 14:58:02 GMT
James Druce says:
I purchased two of the 2nd generation speakers, and one has the fault - blue LED when plugged on, will not charge, sound quality bad.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Nov 2012 18:04:49 GMT
alpaca7 says:
I purchased the 2nd generation in March 2011 and within a year had the same problem as Robert Colvin: product will not charge any more so is useless.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2013 21:38:16 BDT
I've updated my review. However I respectfully disagree that my original review is void just because the 2G became available.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›