5.0 out of 5 stars Long Overdue Release of a Classic, 8 July 2010
This review is from: Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush (BFI Flipside) (DVD + Blu-ray) [1968] (DVD)
I've been after this little gem of a movie for years. Nearly every time I visit Amazon.co.uk I've typed in the title in the search facility only to be told it was unavailable - until now!

I first saw this classic after videoing it late one night in the early nineties; it was the kind of film they ran about 3am and then I misplaced my VHS tape. At the time of me recording it, one reviewer described it as being locked into a sixties time warp. Well! GREAT! If there was an era I could go back to and live it would be 1967/1968 when this film was shot.

It is very pyschedelic. We have regular interludes of musical and pictorial psychedelia with the aid of bands like Steve Winwood's Traffic and The Spencer Davis Group. The official soundtrack has been available for years and the title track was released into the UK top ten at the time.

Young Jamie McGregor (played by the now sadly deceased Barry Evans), a seventeen year old middle class grammar school youth, chases pretty girls around the new town of Stevenage as it seems that his sixteen year old brother is outdoing him in the romantic stakes. He is cheerful and cheeky and talks a lot to the camera about his class-consciousness and insecurities. Not everything goes to plan, but he rarely lets it get him down. He chases after the posh bird, Caroline (Angela Scoular) and the council estate girl, Linda (Adrienne Posta), but the one he really wants is the elusive Mary (Judy Geeson). However, it soon transpires that just like him, she likes playing the field, which he has difficulty handling.

I have to say that the picture quality presented here is as good as it could be after more than 45 years and that the double Blu-Ray/DVD package is an excellent compilation with decent extras. I particularly enjoyed the documentary about Stevenage.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Aug 2010 22:02:19 BDT
i have dvd version of this film that was transferred from the master tape many years ago by a relative who worked on the original movie. Be good to see it brought up to date in HD.

Posted on 15 Sep 2010 14:48:51 BDT
Roger 1 says:
Absoloutely agree. Got my copy today and I am immensely glad that it has ben finally released.
My old copy from that i videoed some years ago was just about played out
5 stars

Posted on 14 Jun 2015 16:15:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Jun 2015 16:21:21 BDT
You have written a personal review which I think is really great. Yes, (apart from the obvious, loving this film) I too really enjoyed the 21 minute short, 'Stevenage', it really capped it off for me, somehow it brought it all home and I appreciated this priceless film over again because of it!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2015 17:04:15 BDT
Copnovelist says:
Thank you for your kind remark. It's good to know other people love this film too. Time for me to watch it again.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2015 17:41:11 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Jun 2015 19:20:35 BDT
Not wanting to spoil things, but I was surprised to see (only last week) a documentary focused in part, on Stevenage and the antisocial problems they have there. It looked ruddy awful! More and more I find, films such as this (less remarkable in their day) are becoming a valuable reminder of a youth culture I enjoyed, whose fun ethic is far distant from that of the lowest common denominator attitude of so many urban youth today. Back then fun ruled, today spoilsports do.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2015 18:59:30 BDT
Copnovelist says:
I went there four years ago as I am fascinated by film locations. There's a video on YouTube shot by a local who does a guided tour of Stevenage and shows you the precise locations of filming. The shopping centre now looks very seedy and run down and is due for demolition and redevelopment. The whole problem was the town planning. There were never the quality jobs locally to generate or sustain any real wealth. 99% of the housing stock is identical to its next door neighbour and there was just never any real understanding of 'aspiration'. People's main aspiration immediately post WWII was to vacate London's bombsites and move out to modern housing in the countryside, but to see the real misunderstanding, see the kind of house they built around the corner from the hospital (the house Judy Geeson's family inhabit in the film) and you see how it doesn't meet with the aspiration of a well-paid doctor then or now.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2015 19:36:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Aug 2015 14:16:40 BDT
I was a bit worried my earlier reply to you might look odd if you didn't know what I meant, so I'm pleased you not only understand but know more besides. The locations that worked so well in the film - everything new, gorgeous and optimistic looking - lovers of this film are well advised to know it looks far less pleasing today. Ironic it should look so disappointing. I have now watched the YouTube video "Stevenage - He We Go Round The Mulberry Bush - locations" you mentioned. I enjoyed it very much despite Stevenage looking rundown by comparison with 'Mulberry Bush.' Doubtless because I love the film so much!! Thank you!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›