5.0 out of 5 stars the perfect link, 25 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Neet® - FireWire 800 to 400 Cable - (2m) - 9 Pin to 6 Pin - IEEE 1394b (for Mac & PC) - 2m FLX Pro Lead (Personal Computers)
I have bought a couple of different cables from Neet over the last couple of years, all have performed exceedingly well, and have lasted, so they are well made.So when I bought an Imac to supplement my Mac book pro, I was looking for a fire wire cable to connect both computers to enable me to transfer my Mac book Pro hard drive to my newly acquired Imac.
I did a Google search for a fire wire (mentioning Neet cables in the search) and was directed to the Amazon web site and subsequently placed an order - well, at over 60% cheaper than the original so It was a no brainer really given my past experience with their cables...
one word of caution though be careful, there are a few varieties of fire wire cable, depending on your mac and / or mac book pro - make sure you know which one you need - check the apple docs carefully.
Anyway - the cable arrived in good time, around 2 days I recall - eagerly I fired up the IMac , connected the mac book pro in a breeze and within 30 minutes had successfully copied all my data,software and personal details - am I impressed? - absolutely, 5 stars

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Apr 2012 12:45:38 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Apr 2012 14:24:24 BDT
G. Best says:
I bought a new iMac (Summer 2011) and now that I am turning to it as my "main" Mac, it is only to discover none of my existing Firewire (scanner, 3 x drives and 2 x DVD burners) kit cables fit.

Shunting the applications from my crumbling 2007 polycarbonate MacBook (I've got a 1998 Compaq laptop that looks less of a wreck!) was done with the home WiFi network and Apple's "Migration Assistant" utility running on both machines.

Most programs and utilities ported perfectly; my documents were fine (except iTunes - the library transfer was a complete non-event - but as I've always stored my original audio files outside of and well away from iTunes, I will rebuild from my archives), with others the serial numbers had to be re-input; Adobe CS5's java runtime had to be downloaded again; nothing originally purchased and downloaded from Apple's "App Store" ran - but as 99% of their "products" turned out to prove inadequate (if not pure junk), these applications only needed deleting from the new machine.

So long as the MacBook lasts (and Boy! is it struggling with OS "Lion"!), I can use it to access my Firewire archives: the essential (to me) stuff will be be transferred in the meantime to USB drives (Amazon sell the Western Digital 1 and 2 terabyte USB drives which are proving excellent), then Firewire (everything) can be trashed - which is clearly what Apple wants us to do.

So, I won't be buying any adaptors or new cables. By the way - the Wifi transfer (Airport Express) took over 3 hours: cable might have proved quicker (am sure it was from my dimly recollected November 2000 graphite iMac transfer to the MacBook in 2007) - but the WiFi file transfer proved to cost absolutely nothing.

NB UPDATE: now that I'm forced to actually use it with the iMac, the scanner on my (Amazon purchased) HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 Wireless printer turns out to be quite acceptable - goodbye Firewire Microtek! Whilst I'll be sorry to see the end of my ForMac and LaCie DVD burners, I bought a little USB-powered Samsung external DVD burner at under £35 from the local electronics store that is (to me) quite astonishing; my MacBook's DVD drive died and my local Apple authorised store wanted nearly £190 to replace it!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›