5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous Ultra-Zoom Compact, 16 July 2009
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix TZ7 Digital Camera - Black (10.1MP, 12x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD (Electronics)
I purchased this camera as an upgrade to my ageing Canon PowerShot S80, which I thought was a most excellent compact. Unfortunately, Canon lost my loyalty when they stopped that product's line (no S90!), which meant that the accessories I had bought for that camera such as the waterproof casing ended up being a huge waste.

I bought the TZ7 because it had the following features to offer me:
* Excellent lens (you can do a lot worse than Leica!);
* High optical zoom (12x! In a compact!);
* HD video that would allow me to zoom in and out while shooting (not True HD but 1280x720p is good enough for me);
* Extra-wide angle lens (25mm equivalent);
* Good low-light capability;
* A broad range of useful functions that would allow me to shoot well in all kinds of circumstances;
* Compact, lightweight, decent battery life, etc.

I have so far not been disappointed by this camera. I do miss the manual features of my old compact, but I have to say that there are enough preset scenes that cover every situation I need anyway. And I love the camera's image stabilisation and 'extended zoom' features - very nice!

Any negative points? There's no such thing as a truly perfect compact (yet) but the negatives are all trivial with the TZ7. The mode dial at the top could be a little 'tighter' - it is a bit easy to accidentally slip from one mode to another. The lag when starting up a video recording can be a bit frustrating. The face recognition function is far from perfect (I don't bother with it now) although the face detection feature is good. The panorama function is a bit difficult to line up in bright conditions. See what I mean?

The only real negative is the PHOTOfunSTUDIO software that I am forced to use to download the AVCHD files to my computer. Maybe some people like it but I think it is hideous. What I end up doing is download all my photos through ACDSee (which is brilliant, but can't detect AVCHD files on the memory card) and then use the Panasonic software to acquire the video, which I then edit using CyberLink PowerDirector. I tolerate the Panasonic software but only because I use it as little as possible.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Jul 2009 23:26:49 BDT
Mr J S says:
I have an even older Canon S50 which I think takes excellent pictures. However, I am tempted by the Panasonic's increased zoom and wide angle. How do you find the photos compare to your Canon?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2009 22:04:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jul 2009 22:05:09 BDT
W. Gant says:
To be honest you only really notice when you zoom right in. As you'd appreciate with the PowerShot 'S' series, their images are already very good and look natural. I think the TZ7 is sharper overall though, particularly around the edges of the frame even at the widest angle. The high zoom on the TZ7 (and indeed the TZ6) is well appreciated, a definite leap in the evolution of compact cameras.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2009 14:32:20 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Aug 2009 09:20:22 BDT
Mr J S says:
Thank you for your reply.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›