4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant player let down by poor software, 14 July 2013
This review is from: Samsung BD-F6500 Smart 3D Blu-ray/DVD Player (Electronics)
First off it seems to have everything going for it. It is small elegant in a shiny piano black case. It also plays all of the DVDs / Blu-rays / and 3Ds I threw at it. The picture quality and sound was amazing I had expected this with Blu-rays but I was surprised how good the upscalling made come very old DVDs look.
There is a bright clear display that shows what is happening such as updating and measuring the time the disc has played, I was surprised that it did not have a clock displayed when on standby my previous players had and I did not even think to check if this one had but I do miss it.
The standard settings worked well for me but there are multiple tweaks that can be made to the settings.
As a player it is easy to use with all the usual controls on a compact remote controller, these are also on the top just above the usb slot.
As I wanted to take full advantage of the built in Wi-Fi and Smart hub I set it up to use my home network Wi-Fi it has both 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz I used 5Ghz.

This is where it started to be not so good.

Once I had connected to the internet a message came up saying it needed updating, clicked update now. It eventually timed out. I also tried this hard wired to the router in case it was a Wi-Fi problem. Never mind I thought I will download a copy from the Samsung site, found the firmware update no problem, would not download. I sent an email to the very helpful Samsung support who emailed me the file and I successfully updated via the usb port. The usb port has a cover which is not the easiest thing to open but is made of a quite soft plastic so you won't break your fingernails.

I next tried the internet browser, it was actually quite quick but I lost the will to live while trying to use the on screen keyboard which involved left, right, up & down arrows then selecting the letter.
Fortunately I have a mini wireless keyboard TaoTronics®TT-MK001 Mini 2.4GHz Fly Air Mouse Wireless Keyboard Remote Control for Google Android Tablets & TV Box / HTPC / PC / Smart TV - Works with any MK 802 Smart TV (Black)I plugged the dongle into the usb port and the entry of text became much more useable.

Next the Apps some like the BBC player and ITV player worked well and there are some others that can be downloaded from Samsung these varied in quality from useful to looks interesting but will not download. Also Samsung have an unreasonable love of Netflix and love films as you cannot remove these apps to get more storage space if you do not want them.

We now come to the real reason I wanted this player, in all of the publicity blurb it says stream content from your network. It is partially true that it does this however the first thing I found out is it does not support "Network Attached Storage" NAS drives, guess where I store all my photographs etc. Never mind I thought I will stream it from a PC. To stream from a PC according to Samsung you have to install "AllShare" on the PC that you want to stream from. I could not find this software on the Samsung site just got a 404 error. Again contacted the people at Samsung, found out "Allshare" no longer exists and has been replaced by "Samsung Link", found and downloaded it I was now able to reliably stream from a PC.

So in summary:-

An excellent player,
The software is slow and "clunky"
The remote controller could do with having a QWERTY keyboard on it.
Network streaming support could be improved.
I would like an extra usb port at the back so I could keep my keyboard dongle plugged in.
Oh yes and I do want a clock.
If you do not need Wi-Fi you would be better buying the Samsung BD-F5100 Network Blu-ray and DVD Player (New for 2013)(not 3D) or aSamsung BD-F5500 3D Network Blu-ray and DVD Player (New for 2013) (3D)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Nov 2013 09:27:10 GMT
stu says:
You need to run a Media Server on your NAS drive and this works very well for us. We use a QNAP NAS which runs Twonky Server. All our Sammy TV's and this Blu-Ray player connect to it with no problems. They also work with Windows Media Player (turn Streaming on). I have found All-Share to be unecessary.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2013 16:33:25 GMT
Bob says:
Thank you stu, this is the NAS drive I have, LG N2B1DD2 2 Bay Blu-ray Network Attached Storage 2TB I could not get media server to work on it. May be me, in fact it probably is.

Posted on 10 Nov 2013 21:56:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Dec 2013 21:45:47 GMT
Nice write up. Helps me to choose. Thanks.

On the hard-wired apps, not long after I got an earlier Samsung network Blu-Ray player, Google withdrew its Maps app. It still sits there, some years later, as one of Samsung's "top picks".

That is probably just one reason why Lovefilm pulled the plug on the now "ancient" DVD player that I bought in the middle of 2011. Talk about built-in obsolescence. Still, at £89 it works out at around £40 a year.

The keyboard thing is a perennial with these toys. I'll have to see if one of my various wireless keyboards will work. But the idea of finding a two-port box makes sense. It is amazing how little there is on the back of this one.

Warning: After reading this I tried the BD-F5500. Big mistake. It is not the 6500 minus wifi. The 5500 does not, and cannot, do Lovefilm, which was the whole point of my purchase. Fortunately, the retail store I bought it from, which also made this mistake, is happy for me to trade up to the 6500.

Posted on 30 Dec 2013 19:15:37 GMT
waynedod says:
Try googling 'PS3Media Server', even if you don't have a PS3 it works for PC's\Laptops and DLNA devices. It works perfect between my Samsung Windows 8 laptop and Samasung Home Theatre (ht-d5100 I think) while allshare is useless and Wndows 8 Media Centre can't see MKV's.

Posted on 19 Jan 2015 20:32:12 GMT
This is so different from my experience, the apps work really well (Iplayer, ITV, 4OD, Channel 5 and YouTube) on both WiFi and wired Ethernet, and streaming from my Synology NAS is terrific.

It hasn't always been flawless but so far I've mostly tied down problem to other parts of my home network. Internet streaming problems on the Samsung were an early sign of a failing Virgin internet connection eventually fixed in the street corner cabinet. Problems streaming from my NAS have generally been when the NAS is too busy on other file transfer tasks and cured by stopping those. It's often possible to get to an app or to network streaming before the newly switched-on Blu-Ray Player play has connected to the network, and that is the fault of the player and it's sometimes frustrating to wait the extra 30 seconds for it to connect.

I'm not certain, but I think the two suggested alternative Blu-Ray players only have NAS Streaming, Iplayer, YouTube, not the full ITV, Channel 5 and 4OD.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jan 2015 20:50:11 GMT
Bob says:
Although my review was accurate at the time of posting subsequent upgrades have improved the apps. However I still have been unable to get it to stream from my NAS server, I have not followed this up too much as I only need to show photographs which I can stream from my laptop.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›