5.0 out of 5 stars Oh. My. God., 6 Sep 2005
This review is from: Late Registration (Audio CD)
I was proved wrong yesterday when I continued my ongoing proclamation that The College Dropout was the most amazing album ever made. This album fell into my hands.
I was sceptical before putting it into the stereo, thinking nothing could ever top the masterpiece that is The College Dropout. Looking into the booklet and seeing notes like "contains samples from the Curtis Mayfield recording 'Move On Up'" made me worry, as this is a classic song, and it to ruin it would be disastrous.
I was blown away. Kanye's ability to mix samples is just out of this world-he truly justified 'Move On Up', along with the classy uses of 'Diamonds are forever' and 'I Got A Woman'.
My expectations were reached and then exceeded when I heard the supporting artists-Adam Levine provides a cool alternative to the usual rappers, and Brandy just sounds amazing on any track she does. Jamie Foxx brings a classy sound to 'Gold Digger', seeing as he seems to be Ray Charles reincarnated. The obvious collaborations of Jay-Z, Common and Nas weren't repetitive as I had feared, instead showing their experience and their ability to bring power to a record.
I also liked Kanye's cheekiness in stealing lines from his hip hop counterparts-like "Forever? Forever-ever? Forever-ever?" from Outkast and "Unless you gon' do it" from Nelly.
I hoped that Kanye would bring a touch of humour to Late Registration, as I had loved listening to his satirical take on the college system. I was not disappointed-I loved hearing the Broke Flat Broke fraternity, commenting on how 'poor blacks' in America view their input to society. Hilarious-"Do you remember when we had to eat our cereal with a fork just to save the milk? Do you remember at Christmas when your mama walked in the room pretending to be the Christmas tree?"
My favourite tracks are most definetly "Heard 'Em Say", "Gold Digger" and "Bring Me Down", although this is subject to change as I listen time and time again to this amazing album.
Usually I hate it when I'm proved wrong, but this is an exception. Late Registration is a production masterpiece that should be noted as just, well, amazing.
Well done, Mr West.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]