5.0 out of 5 stars good overall fitness workout, 15 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Cindy Crawford - Shape Your Body Workout [DVD] (DVD)
Female, 29 years old, height - 1.72 m, starting weight - 71 kilos, current weight - 63 kilos, desired weight - 58 kilos

I discovered Cindy Crawford's workouts last spring when I awoke from a 2-year lazy ass sitting around all day period. I was at my largest weight - 71 kilos and I decided it was high time I did something about it. During high-school, university and well after university I attended dance and aerobics classes on a regular basis, so at least in theory I'm not a newbie when it comes to fitness.

I think this workout is great! Sure, her form is sometimes poor, but like other reviewers have said you just have to make sure you do the moves correctly and you'll be fine. The moves themselves are very effective. They're the kind of movements I used to do during my dancing classes (for our toning exercises). The exercises are old-school, but proven again and again to be effective, without hurting your knees, back, joints, etc. It's low-impact.

I'd say that the fitness level is intermediate. Advanced exercisers might find this to be too short and non-demanding. Beginners will struggle at first with the speed of her repetitions. As you get fitter, you'll be able to do them at her speed. You can also do them at your own speed and pause the workout. This is what I do for the abs section, where my back tends to become too tight if I do them at light-speed.
Pros:
- short, effective, low-impact
- great scenery, great music, Cindy's body is inspirational and for once, ATTAINABLE

Cons:
- no cardio, you'd have to look for it elsewhere (I do Billy Blanks 2-3 times a week and then 'Shape your body' or 'The next challenge' the remaining half of the week).

Another thing I like is it doesn't drain me of energy. I do my workouts first thing in the morning, that is when I have the time, on an empty stomach. This workout works me just enough to tone and improve my body, without depleting it of all energy for the rest of the day. I also don't feel like I'm about to drop dead at the end of it.

I use it to tone up my whole body and I rely on proper diet and cardio to shift the remaining 3-5 kilos. I have about 30 at-home workouts, but I always come back to Cindy's workouts. Hers and Billy Blanks' have proven to be effective without any side effects. I've tried Davina McCall's Superbody and Body Buff (my back hurt from one of her workouts), Jillian Michaels (not enjoyable, the style is too military for my liking), Bob Harper (also hurt my back badly), Callanetics (good for toning, but it becomes soooo boring after a while), Turbo Fire (high-impact, I don't think it would be good on the long-term), Ministry of Sound "Pump it up" (also too high impact), Brazil Butt Lift (not so enjoyable, I thought it might be otherwise given my dancing background, but it was not - too much non-sense), Jari Love (a billion repetitions, not enjoyable). As you can see I have a very diverse workout library, and yet I prefer 'Shape your body'. Because it's effective, it's enjoyable, it's low impact, I also find it quite relaxing at some point - I work out very early in the morning and sometimes I'm not completely waken. Loud annoying music with extra cheery fake instructors would just get on my nerves at this point.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]