1 of 2 people found the following review helpful
What COULD have been happening at Elsinore,
This review is from: Lord Hamlet's Castle (Paladin Books) (Paperback)
Hamlet is a wonderful play, arguably one of Shakespeare's finest. The play is full of ambiguities and puzzles;
- who/what is the ghost of Old Hamlet?
- how feigned was Hamlet's madness?
- what really happened to Ophelia?
- how close was Hamlet to Ophelia?
- what does Hamlet do when he is off-stage?
- what was Osric all about, fop courtier or something altogether more serious?
- was Gertrude's role far more important than the play suggests?
In this 1987 book Hunter Steele answers these and many other questions as he describes what could have REALLY been going on at Elsinore and beyond during this period of turmoil. Some of his suggestions are very unexpected and make you think again about whether so and so really could have been doing this instead of that. It certainly made me rethink some of my views about more conventional interpretations of the play.