5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV...eventually, 16 Jun 2012
This review is from: Samsung 32-inch Smart 3D LED TV UE32ES6300 Full HD 1080p with Wi-Fi built-in and Freeview HD (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I bought this TV from Amazon partly because of the reviews and partly after having viewed Samsung TVs in John Lewis. Picture quality is likely to be a matter of personal taste, but it seemed to me that the Samsung models had a clarity which was missing from the rivals like Panasonic and Sony. I didn't particularly want 3D, but was told that that level of detail was only achievable with a 3D TV, and of course you didn't have to watch in 3D if you didn't want to!

Amazon wasn't the cheapest at the time of ordering, but the sheer brilliance of the service combined with the no-fuss returns policy made it an easy choice. Since the time I bought mine I notice the price has fallen markedly, though it does seem to yo-yo a bit.

Time to mount it on the wall...it has to sit in the corner and the only way it can do this is with a cantilever arm bracket, and so I purchased one at the same time as the TV. Easy I thought, it's advertised as fitting *all* 32" TVs, including of course, Samsung. However, the ES6300 has a cunningly moulded back which ensures that no bracket (apart from Samsung's own) will actually fit: the screws are all either too long or too short, or the supports simply cannot be accommodated. After four tries I found one, but only after a visit to the local hardware shop for new screws/spacers etc. Sorted.

Next the set up of the TV, and this is where Amazon really came in handy. I found one of the most useful reviews on this site to be from Product Reviewer, who as well as providing lots of info in the review, was also extremely helpful in answering questions (cheers PR!) There are so many variables to choose from with the picture that you have to do a lot of experimenting. My first issue was with motion blur, most apparent in 3D where there was high contrast. I eventually found out how to set up the picture to counter this, but it took time. I then noticed that the picture appeared to be dropping a frame every few seconds or so. This was highly irritating and I couldn't find out the answer to this for while. The solution came with replacing the HDMI cable and making sure it was actually connected to the correct socket in the back of the TV. So, that problem is now sorted too.

So, after three weeks or so, we now have a TV with a quite stunning picture. Watching Game of Thrones - Season 1 [Blu-ray][Region Free] on the blu-ray player (Samsung BD-E6100 3D Smart Blu-ray Player with Built-in Wi-Fi (New for 2012)) is an amazing experience, and at times it feels almost as though there's only a clear pane of glass between you and the action. Films with lesser production values than Game of Thrones can however reveal distractions such as poor artificial lighting - you can almost sense the lighting and camera crew surrounding the actors - so prepare for the unexpected! The age of the film doesn't always seem to be a factor; for instance, the newly released Alien Anthology [Blu-ray] [1979] [4 Disc Set] box set is quite incredible and looks like it was made yesterday.

A possibly unexpected feature of the Samsung is the quality of the sound. I was all prepared to hook the TV up to the existing sound system we have, but actually, in our case at least, doing that would have been to downgrade the listening experience. This TV has a crisp and detailed yet full sound quality, but it's possible to refine it further using the menu, for instance in highlighting speech or music. If you've ever struggled in the past to hear the dialogue in a film, then this TV will definitely be the one for you.

Having said earlier that I wasn't really interested in 3D, i soon changed my mind once I'd seen a few movies. In a word, it's sensational. Just try Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (Blu-ray 3D + 2D Blu-ray)[Region Free]: watching this in a darkened room is a marvel, and the water sequences in particular are spectacular. Once again, the correct settings are important in order to enjoy the film at its best (these are laid out in full by other reviewers on this forum).

The fact that you can use a web browser though the Smart TV is probably only going to be of any use if you also download the Samsung Remote iPhone app; you can then use the phone (or in theory iPad, though at the time of writing this doesn't seem to be working) as a keypad. Trying to use the browser with the supplied remote control is frustratingly slow.

Of the apps, the ones we've ended up using most are iPlayer, LoveFilm and YouTube. They look fantastic and work beautifully - once you've installed the firmware - I had a few problems here, and have to say a big thank you to Product Reviewer for finding the answer as to how to download the firmware online (please see PR's Comment section).

I've been amazed by the quality of the picture on iPlayer and LoveFilm in particular; even though our broadband speed is nothing to write home about we don't seem to encounter any buffering issues on the TV. Other reviewers have raised the point about the proximity of your home hub to the television and how this can affect the streaming quality (in particular please see honeythief's excellent piece on this), so if your hub is more than five metres away then it seems like you might hit problems.

As seems normal with these apps, access is more limited than on a computer; so for instance on LoveFilm you don't have the degree of Watch Now choice as you would have on your PC or Mac. On IPlayer it's the same, it's more restricted.

Anyway, if you set this TV up correctly then you're in for a treat. I'm not technically-minded and it's been a challenge, but as I say, I've found this forum to be very useful.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 21-30 of 42 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2012 11:30:25 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Aug 2012 11:41:33 BDT
Derek Whyman says:
I would like to differ in the "Quality" of cable is important !!. HDMI cables either work or they don't. They do tend to lose signal over excessive lengths. Do not get sucked in by all the hype, You do not need expensive cables.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2012 11:38:36 BDT
Derek Whyman says:
Try HDMI 1 for the DVD player. Sure that is the one they recommend.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2012 11:59:40 BDT
G. Harrison says:
Thanks for that which is the best HDMI slot for sky hd??
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2012 13:01:49 BDT
Hello there Jean

you have an xbox, connected to your Samsung tv? How is the picture quality on the tv any frame rate drop? is the picture responses to the sticks (so when you press anything on the xbox controller is there any lag time between the time you pressed the button and the action on the tv)

Paul

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2012 18:06:10 BDT
Hi Paul

There's no lag to speak of, and no drop off of frame rate. We've played the same sorts of games on Playstation and a Sony TV, but the picture's way better with the Samsung (and Xbox).

Hope this is some help -

Posted on 19 Aug 2012 18:03:41 BDT
Kalistha says:
I am looking at getting this TV (32 inch one) and wall mounting it. Which bracket do I need to get? I need a cantilever one...Would this one work?
Invision® TV Wall Mount Bracket - New Slim Line Design With Cantilever Arm Tilt & Swivel Feature For 26 - 55 inch TV Screens, Fits LED, LCD & Plasma, Max VESA 400mm x 400mm (Please check TV VESA Mounting Holes Before Purchase)

What type of screws/spacers did you have to get to make the bracket work?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Aug 2012 19:17:46 BDT
Hi Kalistha

I did actually buy that one first, but found that the back of the TV just didn't match up with the bracket. I then tried about four other brackets and none of them fitted either, the problem usually being the length of the screws (either too long or too short).

The one I eventually bought was on eBay, but I've just looked and it's not there anymore. It was advertised as fitting the ES6300, which in fact wasn't true as I had to buy new screws to make it fit, so possibly they have withdrawn that claim. This is similar

I'm not sure what to advise you to do, but what I did in the end was to take the screws to the local hardware store (both the too short and the too long ones) and ask for a size in between. I also bought more spacers. It turned out that compromise screws did fit, and the bracket works brilliantly. I must say, the eBay one is excellent, and way better than the one on Amazon.

It's only a matter of time before they bring out a bracket which actually does fit the ES6300, I'm sure. In the meantime it might be worth contacting the companies who make the brackets.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help...

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Aug 2012 12:41:53 BDT
Hi JB

I just bought the 40ES6300 and hoped that I'll find the needed screws in the box (I rent a flat, which already has the bracket mounted on the wall). Unfortunately the only screws in the box were for the stand, which are not OK for the wall mount. Any idea what type of screws I need ? Again, it's the 40". I wasted a lot of time searching online with no luck.

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Aug 2012 13:01:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Aug 2012 13:04:24 BDT
Hi

I can only really suggest that you visit a "proper" hardware shop where you can talk to assistants with some product knowledge. Sounds to me as though your bracket is different from mine, so the screws wouldn't be the same anyway.

I did notice a posting from someone on this forum saying that they had no problems at all in wall mounting the TV using a cantilever bracket, so it might be worth contacting them.

Failing that, it's probably worth contacting Samsung direct, but I'm sorry I haven't been able to be of more help.

Cheers

Posted on 27 Nov 2012 00:10:50 GMT
Garfield says:
Hi there,
Where did you get the Samsung branded cantilever arm wall mount ???
Thanks :)